Senior Software Engineer (Frontend, Backend, or Full Stack)
Drift is the new way businesses buy from businesses. With its quickly evolving set of tools and playbooks, Drift is the world’s leading conversational marketing platform, trusted by top enterprise businesses like Marketo, Okta, Outreach, Ellie Mae, and over 150,000 other businesses. Sales and marketing teams rely on Drift to connect now with the customers who are ready to buy now. Based in Boston, Drift was founded by serial marketing technology entrepreneurs David Cancel and Elias Torres and is backed by leading venture capitalists including CRV, General Catalyst, and Sequoia.
About the role
We look for engineers who are passionate and ready to tackle some of the most meaningful problems in the industry—from building adaptive AI for bot-supported conversations, to designing next generation chat experiences, to bridging the gap between old and new ways to buy. You may be involved in creating infrastructure that processes billions of messages a minute to extracting buyer intent and priority for conversations. You could also build tools to trace and visualize any message ever sent so our customers can zero in on giving the best buying experience.
Who you'll work with
Whether you're an intern or a principal, you will get to work on hard problems together. We want you to bring out your unique experience and specialities!
- Carolina Lopez-Treviño, Software Engineer, joined August 2017. Carolina built several email features, and is a champion for the email infrastructure.
- Trevor Rundell, Director of Engineering, joined Feb. 2016. Trun is the go-to guy for anything tech or getting deep on a problem.
- Maggie Crowley, Director, Product Manager, joined Dec. 2017. Maggie & the team own our bot features and built the interaction flow we use today.
What you’ll be doing on the team:
Day 1 you will
- Use your onboarding time to learn how things work here and to practice writing and shipping software that makes our customers successful
- Start to dig in and get the basics down (all of our systems, how your laptop works, and make sure you have the right Engineering access)
- Learn Drift-specific systems, product information, and review paperwork (we have to get that out of the way).
- Have lunch with your Tech Lead and maybe your team
By the end of week 1 you will
- Get to know your customer - Every team at Drift owns a different area of the product and our Customers are a super important ingredient to how we build product!
- Have received a first look into Drift engineering systems, culture and product process through various conversations;
- How Product Works at Drift
- Engineering Path of Success/ Path of Failure
- Auth & Debugging at Drift
- Customer-centered Engineering
- Review of Drift SDLC
- Have transitioned from onboarding to your new team
- Have your local dev environment set up and you will have completed your First-day ship!!!
By the end of month 1 you’ll
- Meet all of your members from Design to Product and Customer Advocate!
- Work with you tech lead to identify the “small rocks” (aka Team Goals) for your first month along with any other goals.
- Also work with your tech lead to develop your list of personal/ professional goals.
- Get an intro to chat duty and how our CA team interacts with our customers on a daily basis.
- Ramp up by engaging in these product processes at Drift;
- Take ownership of a “small rock” from a 1-pager
- Contribute to story time
- Participate in a green-lit kickoff
- Write code toward your “small rock”
- #Shipyard a completed product
- Measure your impact!
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Enjoy working on the frontend, backend, or anywhere it takes to solve problems and delight customers
- If you're exceptional in a few areas (ex: you're a CSS master or distributed systems guru)
- Take pride in creating results quickly by breaking projects down. We execute on small pieces to generate visible results
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise
- Can stitch together many different services and processes together even if you have not worked with them before
- Can put yourself in the shoes of our customers to unite design & code and craft fantastic experiences
- Uphold quality standards in engineering, security, and design
Drift is committed to being an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Drift is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at [email protected]