Senior Software Engineer (Drupal Front-End) at Acquia
Acquia is the open digital experience company. We provide the world's most ambitious brands with products built around Drupal to allow them to embrace innovation and create customer moments that matter. At Acquia, we believe in the power of community and collaboration — giving our customers and partners the freedom to build tomorrow on their terms.
Headquartered in the U.S., we have been named one of North America’s fastest growing software companies by Deloitte and Inc. Magazine, rated a leader by the analyst community, and named one of the Best Places to Work by the Boston Business Journal. We are Acquia. We are building for the future, and we want you to be a part of it!
Acquia’s Drupal Acceleration Team works on realizing Dries Buytaert's (Drupal's project lead and Acquia's CTO) vision of empowering site builders to create ambitious websites and digital experiences with little or no code. We are currently focusing on:
- Adding an automatic updates feature to Drupal, so that site owners can keep their sites secure without having to manually apply updates every month.
- Adding a project browser to Drupal, so that site builders can find and install contributed modules and themes as easily as people can install an app on their smartphones.
- Making more of Drupal's capabilities, such as UI-editable menus, available to websites built with React, Vue, or other front-end frameworks.
Our team has some well-known Drupal professionals, but you don't have to be one yourself to apply. We can mentor you in any area where we have more expertise, and we look forward to you guiding us in your areas of expertise.Responsibilities:
- Advocate for and build community consensus around the best approach to Drupal’s current and future needs. This includes sometimes changing your mind on what you think the best approach is as new information and feedback comes in, and sometimes explaining and defending your recommendations when others disagree.
- Contribute code and tests to Drupal core and contributed projects—on Drupal.org and elsewhere—in order to accelerate the Drupal community’s progress.
- Support teammates and community contributors with code reviews, constructive feedback, and brainstorming.
- Work with teammates, the engineering and product managers, and the CTO to settle priorities and timelines for delivering value to Acquia through Drupal.
- Respond to critical issues that include investigation, planning, communicating, and incidence resolution in your areas of expertise.
- Analyze upstream dependencies for code quality, requirements and software reliability.
The ideal candidate should demonstrate aptitude and interest in the following skills. Please bear in mind that this is not a list of requirements. A steadfast appetite for learning, a willingness to accept new challenges, and a spirit of technical humility are far more important than any individual skill listed below.
- 2+ years of experience with PHP, some of which includes Drupal and Symfony
- Proficient with automated testing strategies and methodologies
- Experience with Drupal project issue queues
- Experience using Drupal to create websites (site building experience is a plus)
- Willingness to review others' work rigorously, holistically, and constructively, and to have your work reviewed
- Enthusiasm for mentoring and assisting others
- A dedication to advocate for high-quality code, architecture, and documentation
Additionally, an interest in and aptitude for UI design would be a plus. We can lean on user experience specialists at Acquia and in the Drupal community for design when needed, but it also helps for us to have some design capability directly on our team.Location
Acquia is headquartered in Boston, and has offices and remote workers elsewhere in North America, Europe, India, and other global locations. The Drupal Acceleration Team is distributed throughout these locations. For this position we would prefer to hire someone in or near Boston to add to our presence at HQ, but we will consider exceptional candidates from other locations.Relationship
The Senior Software Engineer reports to a Drupal Acceleration Team Engineering Manager and is a part of the Drupal Acceleration Team. The Drupal Acceleration Team works with their corresponding Product team and the CTO to set priorities and timelines.
Acquia is an equal opportunity (EEO) employer. We hire without regard to age, color, disability, gender (including gender identity), marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.