Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Are bready* to make a change?
DevX handles all the internal engineering at Toast. We are responsible for building infrastructure, test platforms, development tooling, and the internal development platform. As a senior engineer in DevX you will be deeply involved in building out our high-scaling ‘Build, Test, Deploy’ platform, and in the design and development of new internal tools that Toast will need as it grows.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Utilize Java/Kotlin skills to build and extend our high scaling internal development platform
- Lead by example with your code standards and design, and help implement these across both the DevX team and R&D in general
- Interact with Toast’s development teams; our tools should ease their process
- Extend our cloud based pipeline and testing infrastructure, including green-field scenarios. Sometimes what we need does not exist yet!
- Work with a wide array of technologies including Java/Kotlin based micro services and APIs, Docker containers, AWS Cloud infrastructure and Terraform, automation systems, Jenkins and CI services, and even a physical device farm for automated hardware testing
Do you have the right ingredients? (Requirements)
- A polyglot technologist with a broad spectrum understanding of modern software tooling and development pipelines
- Understanding of Unix/Linux environments
- Experience with Git/Github
- At least 3 years of Cloud experience (AWS preferred)
- At least 3 years of professional Java development
- Experience with Docker, and container solutions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; timely communication with clear expectations
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java and Kotlin, to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services are a mix of synchronous DropWizard microservices in Java or Kotlin, and asynchronous services using Apache Pulsar and Apache Camel. We use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to DynamoDB to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with service management and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is primarily SPAs using React and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end