Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple. This gives our customers the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US, and we are growing fast. Ready to come along for the ride?
The CarGurus Digital Wholesale Engineering team (Formerly Innovation Labs) is looking for skilled a Senior Software Engineer to build exciting new products in the automotive space.
Our team is re-imagining the world of automotive wholesale to bring it to the 21st century. This is multi-billion/year space that is still dominated by offline transactions and the team is working to change that. The products we are working on will let consumers sell their car with ease at a fair price, without leaving their home, and allow dealers to transact between themselves. Our projects tend to have longer time horizons and are often exploratory in nature. Therefore, a successful team member must have a strong product sense, be consumer focused and have an interest in rapid experimentation and iteration.
Here at CarGurus, we're focused on finding non-traditional approaches to hard problems using data, asking better questions, measuring outcomes, and quickly iterating on the solutions. We embrace the 80/20 rule.
One of our core beliefs is that useful data will lead to the best outcomes, and we make decisions based on our data and insights. Each engineer manages their own products and projects. The autonomy in engineering is something we are very proud of and work hard to maintain. You'll get to build great projects that can be both challenging and long term.
This is a very exciting time for CarGurus and is huge opportunity for you to be a part of something truly outstanding!
Examples of recent public initiatives:
- P2P – Making selling or buying cars privately easy, safe, and secure.
- Instant Offers – Helping sellers who sell privately get the best offer from a local dealer through a real time auction.
- Dealer Finance - Enabled users to shop dealer inventory with real financing rates. (Spun out into an independent Digital Retail team.)
Our startup DNA means we particularly value diverse set of backgrounds and perspectives. Come help build the next phase of CarGurus!
What you will do:
- Collaborate with fellow engineers, designers, and data analysts to take an idea from concept to technical design to implementation to testing to measurement.
- Pitch in wherever there will be the greatest impact. This could be anything from implementing a new full consumer facing feature, to integrating with a key partner or technology, to a quick vapor or A/B test to help determine what’s next.
- Advocate for new technology and new methodologies
- Continuously learn and expand your capabilities
Who You Are:
- Expert in OOP (Java preferred)
- A true Full Stack engineer (a little UI work doesn't scare you)
- React experience would be a huge plus
- Solid experience in the data layer including SQL, caching strategies, and Relational Database Design
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Curious and plays well with others
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
We recognize that flexibility plays a critical role in enabling our people to thrive in both their personal and professional lives. We currently welcome Gurus into our Cambridge, MA office on a voluntary basis but do not require employees to physically be in the office. We will adopt a hybrid working model when health experts and government officials in our local communities deem it safe to do so. Specific arrangements within this model will be up to team leaders’ discretion; we encourage you to discuss your questions and needs during the interview process.
All US CarGurus employees are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. This helps us to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors, and the community at large.