• 4+ Years Experience building and maintaining systems leveraging complex modelling and data at scale
• Thrived in backend engineering positions and delivered user experience at scale
• The ability to bring leading industry techniques and technologies to the table
• A strong understanding of distributed systems and how architectural decisions affect performance and maintainability
• Excelled in cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Mobile Engineers, and other highly skilled specialists
• A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs and scales
About the job
A stellar opportunity to have a massive impact: join a world-class engineering team at a company that is redefining how people travel. As a Software Engineer in our Air business unit, you will be directly responsible for designing, implementing, deploying and operating the complex backend systems that power Hopper’s award-winning user experience.
We have several open positions within our Air group. Here are a few examples of teams for which we are hiring!
The Air Foundation team builds and maintains a reliable and scalable platform on which Hopper operates its innovative products. The team is passionate about reliability, scalability, performance, and extensibility of flight search and booking processes. They empower product development teams by providing tools and platforms to minimize feature development time.
Post-Booking Customer Experience Team
The Post-Booking CX team builds and maintains automated systems and user interfaces that empower Hopper customers to service their booking on their own, for example to cancel or change their flight, or redeem an airline travel credit. The team also builds tools that help Hopper’s customer service teams engage with and support customers.
The Air Virtual Interlining team constructs new and compelling flight options for Hopper users by combining fares across airlines that do not have formal codeshare agreements. This innovative offering combining operations research, machine learning and engineering expertise allows Hopper to offer its customers more flight options and lower prices than can our competitors. trip options offer a unique inventory that in turn, provides Hopper’s customers with incredible price-competitiveness.
The App Experience team builds and maintains the Hopper flights mobile experience, which includes searching & booking a flight, as well as purchasing flight related add-ons like seat selection, bags, premium meals and upgrades. They build the application from the ground up, from the backend services to the user interface.
- Build and operate robust and performant infrastructure that supports millions of bookings per year
- Solve complex technical and software architecture problems
- Ship your first code in days, iterating on features in an agile manner
- Leverage and contribute to a rich micro service architecture system
- Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry
- Collaborate with a diverse group of people, giving and receiving feedback for growth
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
More about Hopper
Today, Hopper is best known as a travel app. We're going to do about $1B in sales this year and weathered the COVID storm better than anyone expected. We just raised $170M from Goldman Sachs and Capital One, and inked a deal to be the exclusive travel provider for Capital One Travel.
We owe our success, in large part, to a proprietary suite of data-driven and risk-based financial services that we have developed that complement a customer's trip-purchasing experience. One example is Price Freeze, where our customers are able to purchase a financial option in the app to lock in any price that they see, on any item, for as short as 1 hour or as long as 21 days with Hopper taking the risk on the other side of the trade.
Now we're laying the groundwork for continued expansion in 2021 by adding great people to our team who can help us compete with the travel giants.