Markforged is reinventing manufacturing with the most affordable 3D metal and carbon fiber printers capable of producing parts strong enough for the factory floor. Engineers, designers, and manufacturing professionals all over the world rely on Markforged metal and composite printers for tooling, fixtures, functional prototyping, and high-value end-use production and optimizing their manufacturing and supply chains. Founded in 2013 and based in Watertown, MA, Markforged has about 250 employees globally, with $137 million in both strategic and venture capital. Markforged’s vision is a world in which you build anything you imagine. Markforged was recently recognized by Forbes in the Next Billion-Dollar Startups list and listed as the fastest-growing 3D printing company in the US in the 2019 Deloitte Fast 500. To learn more about Markforged, please visit https://markforged.com.
Our software technologies and tools empower our customers to configure print-ready parts, visualize part geometry in 3D, and push to IoT-connected printers for printing. As part of the Software Engineering team, you will be helping to lead the scaling and growth of our 3D printing platform involving end-customer applications and IoT services. We move at a breakneck pace but refuse to compromise on quality. We believe in “doing it right the first time” and investing in code quality, testing, tooling and infrastructure. Your ideas will directly influence the company's future. You will do interdisciplinary work on physical systems and learn from best-of-the-best engineers across Materials Science, Mech-E, EE, and Software.
As a Senior Software Engineer focusing on Algorithms, Geometry, and 3D Graphics, you will work on our slicer -- the engine that translates a 3D model into instructions for the printer. This includes both the algorithms (mesh generation, medial axis computation, etc) and user interface (for visualization and editing). You will be enabling new printers, materials, and features that allow our customers to print industrial-quality parts that will be used on the factory floor and directly on consumer products.
In this role you will:
- Design, build and maintain our Slicer to transform customer parts into machine instructions
- Implement cutting-edge geometric algorithms that unlock the potential of our 3D printers
- Continuously optimize our code and data structures for correctness and speed
- Build internal tools to help our engineers visualize, instrument and debug the 3D printing process
- Work closely with R&D engineers to perfect print quality across our lineup of devices and materials
What we look for:
- 5+ years experience building and shipping high quality code
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related Engineering field
- Strong background with 3D graphics, computational geometry and relevant math (e.g. linear algebra)
- Strong intuition for physical systems
- Understanding of polygon mesh modeling and file formats
- Broad technical knowledge in object-oriented design and implementation, design patterns, and software development methodologies.
- Ability to thrive within a cross-disciplinary team with both technical and non-technical members
- Passion in keeping up with the latest advances in 3D printing and computational geometry
- Ability to take ownership of a project and execute it with technical excellence
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Pride in driving projects through to production that enable customers to solve their problems
- Know your way around a UNIX shell
- Experience with contemporary web development frameworks (Node, Angular, React/ Redux, etc)
- Experience profiling and improving software performance
- Experience with web-based visualization frameworks (Canvas, D3, Three.js, WebGL and more)
- Experience with CAD/CAM software and 3D modeling libraries
- Experience with robotics
- Advanced degrees such as Master's or PhD in fields such as Computer Science, Mathematics, Software Engineering, Physics
- We use Apple computers and G-suite collaboration tools. While experience with these tools is not required, the ideal candidate will be excited to broaden their knowledge and embrace change
Help us reinvent manufacturing.
We are reinventing manufacturing so that engineers can build anything they imagine.
We are one team that wins together!
You will be engaging every day with passionate and dedicated individuals in a collaborative environment working towards making best-in-class products.
Perks & Benefits
We offer a competitive compensation package and a full suite of benefits, including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 401(k), parental leave, commuter benefits, open PTO policy, and more.
Our work environment includes casual dress, a fully stocked kitchen, bike storage, free parking, weekly catered lunches, and fitness perks.
You will have unlimited access to our 3D printers for professional and personal parts!
Markforged values the differences among our employees and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. These differences include but are not limited to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. This goal emphasizes the development of inclusive work environments that capitalize on each employee’s skills, experience, and unique perspectives as we strive to achieve an unparalleled standard of excellence.
To all recruitment agencies: Markforged does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Markforged employees. Markforged is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Read Full Job Description