Senior QA Engineer, Team Lead at Toast
Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
The Payments / Fintech teams at Toast operate one of the most critical portions of the Toast infrastructure: processing payments on behalf of our restaurants and ensuring that restaurants are paid in a timely manner. Payment processing is a key source of Toast’s revenue and also the lifeblood of our customers; we process millions of dollars in transactions per day.
About this roll* (Responsibilities):
- Bring your QA expertise to design test strategies and execute test plans for multiple features/improvements on our platform
- Provide input to designs, requirements and specifications for new features
- Drive best practices for continuous improvements across multiple teams using metrics, data and feedback
- Partner with support teams to understand customer experiences, pain points and critical workflows - translate that data into evolving test plans
- Investigate latest QA testing modalities and practices - use this info to maintain cutting edge test strategies at Toast
- Partner with peers to assess/increase automated test coverage for all features
Do you have the right ingredients?
- Experience as a QA professional in a Senior role
- Proven experience in mentoring and managing a small team
- Deep understanding of testing methodologies (unit, functional, system etc.)
- Experience with tools such as Jira, Confluence, Postman
- Experience designing and implementing test strategies for complex features
- Ability to lead high impact projects that may span multiple teams
- Strong communication skills - verbal and written
- Ability to multi-task and work in a dynamic environment
- API/Backend systems testing experience
- Android knowledge a plus!
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java/Kotlin and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. Our FinTech stack is evolving to leverage Apache Pulsar, Apache Camel, and AWS DymanoDB to build a highly resilient and scalable next generation of our Payments processing functionality. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is built primarily using Angular and ES6, with newer components using React. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end.
*Bread puns encouraged but not required