Senior Mechanical Engineer at Markforged (Watertown, MA)
We are looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our product development team that is developing the next generation of 3D printers. You will leverage your expertise in mechanism and machine design to help our rockstar team launch the next generation of additive manufacturing equipment. Your experience should include design and analysis of high precision parts and systems, integration of mechanical & electrical components, actuation system design, and sensor selection and integration. You’ll be responsible for developing machine subsystems from concept to production, proving they satisfy performance requirements and ensuring that they can be built in high volume at the highest standard of quality.
Your typical day-to day activities will include CAD design, FEA analysis, Drawing creation, Tolerance analysis, Design for Manufacturability/Assemby/Test and constantly working to ensure subsystems work together to achieve the end goal of printing amazing parts. To thrive at Markforged, you must be able to work well in multi-disciplinary teams consisting of mechanical, electrical, software, and systems engineers. Familiarity with electrical engineering and software development principles will be especially important because you’ll be a part of a team that’s developing complex, high performance systems which are driven by state of the art software.
- Design, develop and validate complex systems that integrate content and constraints from several engineering disciplines
- Contribute to product development at all stages of the product life cycle, from early concept through production and sustaining
- Be a leader within the engineering department advocating for best practices, driving cross functional collaboration and continuous improvement of designs, processes and tools
- Pursue the rapid creation and transfer of knowledge to drive technical progress and efficient decision making
- Review the work of others to ensure a high technical standard and consistency
- Clearly and proactively communicate to others within and across projects and functions
Although we list out what we generally look for, we are very likely missing other attributes and skills that you have that could make you a great fit, but are not currently listed. Research has shown this especially applies to women and other marginalized groups, who tend to apply if they check 100% of every box, versus men who apply if they hit roughly 60%. The point we’re getting at, it doesn’t hurt to take a chance and apply!
What you have:
- B.S. in mechanical engineering, (M.S. preferred)
- 5+ years demonstrated success delivering complex electromechanical systems including industrial automation equipment, robots or similar systems that combine actuation systems, motion control, custom sensor integration, electronics, thermal systems or similar content.
- Strong fundamentals in the field of Mechanical Engineering including design and analysis from 1st principles, trade-studies, failure analysis and system integration
- Subject matter expertise in several of the following areas: CAD modeling (Solidworks Preferred), FEA, tolerance analysis, GD&T, Design for Manufacturing, Design for Assembly, Design for Test, Sheet Metal Design, Product Compliance, Tooling and fixturing design
- Ability to lead a cross-functional team of engineers through influence. A willingness to share know-how and best practices learned through your years of real-world experience
- Experience with PDM and revision control
- Experience with BOM management and PLM (Arena PLM) are a plus
Help us reinvent manufacturing.
We are reinventing manufacturing so that engineers can build anything they imagine.
We are one team that wins together!
You will be engaging every day with passionate and dedicated individuals in a collaborative environment working towards making best-in-class products.
Perks & Benefits
For all US-based roles, we offer a competitive compensation package and a full suite of benefits, including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 401(k), parental leave, commuter benefits, open PTO policy, and more. Our work environment includes casual dress, a fully stocked kitchen, bike storage, free parking, weekly catered lunches, and fitness perks. You will have unlimited access to our 3D printers for professional and personal parts!
Please be aware that the Company requires all employees [who are required to work onsite, whether regularly or sporadically] to be vaccinated for COVID-19. This position will require the successful candidate to show proof of a vaccination. The Company is an equal opportunity employer, and will provide reasonable accommodation to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated consistent with federal, state, and local law.
Markforged values the differences among our employees and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. These differences include but are not limited to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. This goal emphasizes the development of inclusive work environments that capitalize on each employee’s skills, experience, and unique perspectives as we strive to achieve an unparalleled standard of excellence.
To all recruitment agencies: Markforged does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Markforged employees. Markforged is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.