Senior Manufacturing Engineer at Bevi
Bevi is a Series C startup that has raised over $60 million to bring customizable, healthy hydration to offices and facilities across the US and Canada. Founded in 2013, our co-founders set out to out-design bottled water. Within five years time, Bevi has saved the waste generated by over 50 million plastic bottles and continues to grow at a rapid pace. With offices now in Boston, New York, and San Francisco, we continue to grow our healthy flavor offerings and constantly strive to bring the next level of customization to the Bevi hydration experience.
We are seeking a Senior Manufacturing Engineer who will be responsible for the technical operations for Bevi’s external contract manufacturer. The role also includes responsibility for sustaining engineering, design for manufacturability for new products, tooling approvals and supplier quality activities. The primary role of the Senior Manufacturing Engineer is to ensure that Bevi’s suppliers scale to deliver a quality product on an on-going basis, while developing supplier technical capability for future product and production needs. This person will be responsible for directly engaging Bevi’s Mexico-based contract manufacturer to drive improvements in quality, process control, KPI’s, cost, manufacturability, and volume capacity. In addition, this person will be responsible for owning and/or providing inputs on new and existing products including design for manufacturability, feature enhancements, corrective action requests, documentation control, ECO changes, standard operating procedures, and test procedures that are required to ensure a scalable, efficient and repeatable manufacturing process.
- Provide technical oversight for manufacturing production performance and contract manufacturer. This includes improving product yield and cycle time, cost and driving continuous improvements.
- Initiate and/or approve all necessary changes in design, tooling, methods, processes and any documentation that affects the manufacturability of an item or process, including process validation.
- Understand work-flow maturity and promote an expectation that our supply partners are driving toward maturity, with a continuous improvement mind-set, to provide predictable supply that meets delivery, quality and cost targets.
- Create or review engineering change notices and lead cross-functional team to determine actions to effectively execute on ECO’s and to phase into production.
- Identify the root cause of manufacturing process and product nonconformities. Identify and implement the necessary actions to correct and prevent recurrence though the corrective and preventive action plans.
- Provide focus and clarity for continuous improvements using Key Performance Indicator (KPI) metrics. Monitor, communicate and improve key supply chain KPI’s.
- Lead and implement data-driven quality and manufacturing improvement for product design, production capacity, assembly process, and supply chain management.
- Work with contract manufacturer to create processes, tests and procedures, including test programs to verify the performance to specification of Bevi machines and to mistake proof production activities.
- Develop and improve quality system processes to meet quality goals and KPI’s.
- Work with supply chain to reduce product cost by addressing applied labor hours, process cycle time and through alternative components.
- Perform periodic audits of supplier quality systems for the purpose of assuring continued Supplier conformance to the quality system requirements.
- Work with suppliers to drive closure of Supplier Corrective Action Requests (SCAR) and Corrective Actions Preventive Actions (CAPA) and ensure effective root cause and corrective action implementation.
- Champion problem solving and root cause analysis activities with suppliers and customers to eliminate recurrence of non-conformities
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or similar engineering discipline or related technical field
- 7+ years’ experience managing engineering and quality teams including manufacturing engineering, product quality and supplier quality. High-volume contract manufacturing experience is required. Low cost geography (Asia or Eastern Europe) experience is a plus.
- Proven experience partnering with Design and Operations in a fast paced, high growth business setting
- Demonstrated results in leading DFx improvement initiatives for electro mechanical products.
- Working knowledge of manufacturing flow, lean manufacturing, continuous improvement or Six Sigma problem solving methodologies.
- Relevant experience with customer, root cause analysis & corrective/preventive action.
- Demonstrated experience leading projects in an engineering or program management environment.
- Experience with risk management, including but not limited to Process Failure Mode Effects Analysis (PFMEA) and Design Failure Mode Effects Analysis (DFMEA).
- Expertise in data management and the use of analytical, BI and statistical tools to identify trends in current processes and systems.
- Proven ability to achieve results in a fast-paced start-up environment and ability to produce results when facing deadlines or commitments.
- Self-motivated team player with excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to convey business and technical concepts to diverse stakeholders and technical teams in a clear and concise manner.
- Competitive compensation package, inclusive of generous equity options for employees at all levels
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance plans with BlueCross BlueShield and MetLife, 95% paid by employer
- Fully employer paid disability and life insurances
- Wellness and fitness reimbursements
- 401(k) and personal finance education
- 15 days vacation and 9 paid holidays, plus additional paid days for volunteering, sick leave, etc.
- Paid parental leave for both primary and secondary caregivers (mothers and fathers)
- Monthly stipends for cell phone use and commuting costs
- Generous employee referral program
- Fully stocked kitchen and Bevis on tap - and composting and terracycling, too
- Monthly happy hours, pancake breakfasts, Hero awards… and more!