Senior Manager, Software Engineering at Markforged (Watertown, MA)
As a Manager, you will be a key driver in building features and platform stability into Markforged’s cloud-based 3D printing solution. You will be responsible for entire feature sets and the people delivering them: decomposition of requirements, hands-on implementation, cross-team coordination, and the career arc of a team of strong engineers. You will have a growth mindset, accelerating engineers’ career progression and hiring more team members.
This is a player/coach role. Markforged strongly values individuals who use, understand, and love our product, and want to see their efforts actively being used by their customers. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of hands-on experience for managing and maturing teams, and with a “ship often” mindset.What will you own?
- Manage and grow a team of 3-7 experienced engineers responsible for building full feature sets
- Drive technical decisions and be accountable for the delivery of solutions on initiatives they own
- Work with engineers across the company to build new features at large scale
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Plan for the growth of Markforged's infrastructure
Although we list out what we generally look for, we are very likely missing other attributes and skills that you have that could make you a great fit, but are not currently listed. Research has shown this especially applies to women and other marginalized groups, who tend to apply if they check 100% of every box, versus men who apply if they hit roughly 60%. The point we’re getting at, it doesn’t hurt to take a chance and apply!
- 3+ years experience in Engineering Management
- 5+ years experience in leading the design, execution, and shipment of high quality features with strong Computer Science fundamentals
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or equivalent
- Proven experience delivering under an Agile/Scrum/Kanban methodology
- Experience with contemporary web development frameworks (Angular, React/ Redux, Node.js, etc)
- Experience with cloud systems such as AWS or Azure
- Knowledge of performance optimization, parallelization, and distributed systems
- Experience building APIs, Services and/or Scaling Systems
- Significant Experience with Schema Design and Query Optimization with SQL
- Have excellent verbal & written English communication
- Know your way around a UNIX shell
- Proficiency in writing Node applications and scaling them to support thousands of users
- Can design and implement tooling and automation for clustering, scaling, monitoring and alerting
- Experience with web-based visualization frameworks (Canvas, D3, Three.js, WebGL and more)
- Experience with CAD/CAM software and 3D modeling libraries