CircleCI is looking for a seasoned Engineering Leader who brings experience building and leading teams and supporting Engineering Managers, and who’s excited to do this work in a fast-growing company.
We are looking for a manager who is able to balance the development of their staff with the need to continuously improve our organization. In this role, you will challenge and support our teams with the individual in mind, and build a great culture with diversity, inclusion, action orientation, and openness as some of our core values.
As one of our Senior Engineering Managers, you will work across our entire Engineering organization (Product- and Platform Engineering) to support teams, managers, and drive larger organizational initiatives. You will initially start out in this role by supporting and building out our Growth teams, and take on additional responsibilities as our organization evolves.
This is a full-time role in Canada, hired through our affiliate Continuous Labs .
What You’ll Do:
This role is a people management role focused on the development of engineers and delivery of business value. Your recurring tasks and responsibilities include:
- Business value delivery: Ensure continuous, incremental business value delivery and high-quality standards for your teams and help them utilize best practices to set and achieve their goals. Maintain high levels of transparency and efficiency, in collaboration with other development teams and Product Owners. Develop strategies and goals for your teams and the department in collaboration with our Product and Engineering leaders.
- Learning and Development: Attract, onboard, and retain diverse top talent. Develop the teams and people in your domain through coaching, mentoring, and management support. Conduct regular 1:1s (including skip-level), goal setting, and feedback conversations with engineering managers and engineers to ensure their well-being and team health, and support them in their learning and development. Continuously work to improve inclusion and belonging on your teams and throughout our organization.
- Organizational work: Help us continuously improve and grow and build further support structures for our teams by driving broader organizational development and cross-cutting initiatives with the rest of our engineering management team.
- Technical work: Provide technical vision to your teams. Help grow the expertise of your team’s performance, reliability, resilience, scalability, maintainable architecture, and experimentation. We don’t expect you to write or review code on a regular basis, so this role may not be for you if you will deeply miss those things.
- At least five years of direct management experience building and leading software development or operations teams. Your experience includes hiring, as well as having both engineers and managers directly reporting to you and supporting them in their growth. You’ve supported managers directly for at least four years.
- At least 6 months of full-time experience working transparently and collaboratively with distributed teams.
- A track record of using agile and lean methodologies to help teams continuously deliver business value.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills honed for both synchronous and asynchronous collaboration, and strong feedback skills. You are a service-oriented leader and strong collaborator, and you know what it takes to build strong, inclusive, productive teams and how to support managers effectively to help them grow.
- You’re comfortable with ambiguity and turning it into just enough structure to call it a process (and evolving it further from there). You’ve scaled people and systems from non-existent to acceptable to scalable. You bring action orientation and a drive to continuously improve the teams you work with.
- Your peers and “first team” are our Senior Engineering Managers, and you’re a part of our distributed engineering management team. Your direct reports are Engineering Managers and Architects.
- You report to our VP of Product Engineering and work very closely with our VP Platform, VP Growth, as well as with the Product Managers supporting the teams in your domain.
We’re a distributed company with offices in San Francisco, Toronto, Japan, and teammates across the world. For this position, we are specifically looking for a manager in Canada, ideally Toronto.How we hire Engineering Managers
Over the last year, we have made some critical shifts in our understanding of what we believe makes a great engineering manager at CircleCI, and learned a lot about our needs and values as an organization along the way. We wrote about this evolution, and what our hiring process for engineering managers looks like now: What we've learned about hiring engineering managers.
You’ll find more information about Engineering Management roles at CircleCI on our blog:
- What to expect as a remote CircleCI employee
- How my distributed team communicates so no context is left behind
Submit your application online via the Apply Now button.
We know there’s no such thing as a “perfect” candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.About CircleCI
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.