Mendix is a low-code app development platform:
First, what is low-code? Low-code is a visual approach to software development that enables you to abstract and automate every step of the application lifecycle. Gartner predicts that “by 2024, low-code application development will be responsible for more than 65% of application development activity.” Mendix is repeatedly ranked a Leader in analyst reports from Gartner and Forrester. In the 2021 Gartner® Magic Quadrant for Multiexperience Development Platforms, Mendix placed at the very top of the Leaders quadrant.
Mendix, the global leader in enterprise low-code, was created to promote collaboration between Business & IT teams. Thousands of forward-thinking companies around the world like Ford Auto, Rabobank Netherlands, Zurich Insurance, and Red Bull, can unleash their best ideas faster with the help of the Mendix Platform.
Mendix is a Siemens Business:
Siemens is a Top 10 Global Software Company and a leader on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in the World! With the acquisition of Mendix in 2018, Siemens Digital Industries Software is driving transformation to enhance the digital enterprise where engineering, manufacturing and electronics meet the future of innovation. Mendix employees have the opportunity to work in a hyper-growth environment with the support of Siemens’ unbeatable market position and resources.
The Mendix Cloud team is responsible for delivering a high quality, high availability Cloud environment where our customers can run their Mendix apps. We develop and run the Mendix Cloud infrastructure and services that offer deployment, operations and monitoring.
The architecture of the Mendix Cloud is:
- CloudFoundry on top of AWS EC2, for container orchestration
- Postgres databases on AWS RDS
- AWS S3 for files
We automate our operations using the following technologies:
- Mendix (for the frontend)
You'll help drive digital innovation by:
- Solving operational issues for our customers, by both investigating technically and liaising between Mendix Support (1st line) and other development teams in R&D. You'll spend approximately 40% of your time doing this.
- Writing software to automate the operations of our platform, and enable our customers to perform more operations themselves. This will take up the other 60% of your time.
- Providing out of hours support for critical customer issues on an on-call basis.
- Being the first US-based team member for the Cloud Operations team, and helping to build our US-based team.
- Working closely with our existing colleagues in our US-based Support team.
You’re the innovator we need if:
- You are either a strong programmer with good knowledge of infrastructure, or a strong infrastructure engineer who can also code when needed.
- You have programming skills, ideally in Python, but similar languages are fine too. You're comfortable writing a Python script to automate complex tasks to reduce manual effort.
- You have experience with Infrastructure as Code (IaC), such as Terraform, CloudFormation, Ansible, etc.
- You have proven experience (2+ years) administering, developing against, or architecting on a cloud platform. AWS is the platform we use, but experience on GCP/Azure is fine too.
- You have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Explaining complex technical issues and reducing them to a form that less technical customers & colleagues can understand is an important part of the job.
- You have strong experience with Linux/Unix systems.
- You are a US national (this is required for our future GovCloud deployments)
It's nice (but not essential) if you have:
- A passion for investigating complex issues and finding out the solution in a platform with many distributed applications.
- A deep understanding of Cloud architecture/deployment and infrastructure services like web servers, load balancing, SSL/TLS/X509 etc.
- Experience with logging & monitoring tools. We use Datadog and Grafana internally, but experience with other tools such as, Kibana, Datadog, Prometheus, etc is welcome too.
- Experience with the Mendix low-code platform!
Working at Mendix
Mendix has been recognized as a Best Cloud Computing Company to Work For by Forbes. With offices in 16+ countries including headquarters in Rotterdam and Boston, Mendix provides an international playground to truly impact the world through low-code.
While each employee brings their own unique cultures and personalities to the workplace, we collectively live by our Mendix Blue Guiding Principles:
While we live on different continents, speak different languages, and work on different things, we are bound by our “MendixBlue” guiding principles. Being “MendixBlue” means that you live the culture, and you consistently improve it as we grow. It’s kind of a big deal.
We put the customer first. Without our customers, we have no business. So, if you act in the best interest of our customers, always…you belong here.
We think big. We work to have a meaningful, lasting impact on the world. So, if you aim high and think long term…you belong here.
We innovate. We want to be what happens next. So, if you ask “what if?” and work to find a way or make one…you belong here.
We nurture talent. We look, not just at the sum of what an individual has done, but at the potential of who they can be. So, if you’re up for learning from your failures…you belong here.
We hear every voice. Inflated egos don’t last here, humility does. So, if you share credit and ensure that the best ideas win – regardless of who they come from…you belong here.
We own it. If something needs doing, we do it. So, if you focus on the outcome, and take initiative to get it done…you belong here.
We have fun. We use laughter as a common language. We can ask for help and we’re happy to give it. So, if you find joy and purpose in what you do…you belong here.