At Notarize, we’re pulling the future closer. There are over 1 billion notarizations a year. As the first company to complete a legal online notarization, online mortgage closing, online will, online auto sale, and countless other critical transactions, we’re proud of our role in bringing industries into the digital age. Digital transformation at Notarize may require new products, new legislation, new partnerships, or new teams and new ways of working. We’ve never shied from doing whatever it takes to help people with life’s most important transactions, online, and we’re building the team to operate a critical platform company in tomorrow’s economy.
We’re looking for a Senior Back-End Engineer to join our Partnerships team. The Partnerships team is a new engineering team that works to evaluate, design, and deliver product changes driven by partnership opportunities. Working closely with the Channel Sales team, the Partnerships team is brought into early conversations with integration partners to evaluate the business value vs technical feasibility of work. The team focuses on product changes needed to make these technical designs a success and foundational changes to enable future integrations.
- The main pieces of our back-end stack are Ruby on Rails, AWS RDS and S3 for persistence, Redis/Sidekiq and Heroku for running the workload. We use JS/TS on React and GraphQL with Apollo on the front-end, but we consider ourselves platform agnostic. Notarize platform offers a powerful REST API for integrations, which is a centerpiece of our scaling strategy.
- We have a rich CI/CD pipeline to automate end to end testing, verification and deployment of our applications. We use Jenkins, AWS ECS, EKS (Kubernetes) and GitHub actions to power the CI/CD and development tooling. We use Terraform to describe and manage our AWS infrastructure in production. We employ modern monitoring and alerting tools to observe the application, and make sure the problem can be escalated to the on-call team, or corrected automatically.
- A willingness to learn and experiment with new tech is much more important than hands-on experience with our current stack. Most importantly, we want thoughtful, collaborative engineers who are comfortable adapting to new technology and new opportunities. We are solving complex challenges to scale our transactional volume to 10x, 100x, or even more to meet the rapid growth of the company.
What you'll do on the Partnerships Team at Notarize:
- Work with sales to evaluate potential partnership opportunities
- Build both prototype and product partnership integrations
- Build tools to accelerate adoption and integrations
- Thoroughly test your own code, from unit tests to automated end-to-end tests
- Own/drive/carry projects end to end
- Encourage changes for simplicity and efficiency (e.g. rewrite legacy code / change logic for less complexity, nothing is final)
- Solve scalability demands with more performant DB queries / redesign of DB tables / heavy data migrations / memory concerns / code timing
- Provide leadership and critical input on the design of our technologies and services
What we're looking for:
- 3+ years of experience in product software development
- A love of problem solving, and delivering innovative product solutions to improve people’s life
- Hands-on experience building and shipping software and web applications
- An ability to contribute effectively on any part of the stack - from back-end services to data layers to web interfaces
- A belief in thorough unit test coverage, strong test case scenarios - you actively consider the different ways features will be used
- A desire to create quality products and tools that people can actually use
- A passion for clean / simple / tidy code
- A resolve to find solutions by all means, work autonomously, never get stuck on a problem and wait to be told
- Effective communication and active listening skills, with a thoughtful, collaborative approach to problem-solving
Bonus points for:
- Experience building / managing / contributing to SDKs
Some of our benefits:
- Competitive salaries & equity
- Heavily subsidized medical, dental, and vision
- Unlimited PTO & flexible work schedules
- Paid parental leave
- Annual budget for personal learning & development
- Small, cross-functional teams
- Paid lunches (through Grubhub) & regular Lunch & Learn sessions
Our core values:
- Solve Problems That Matter: We serve some of the most important moments in people's lives. It's a responsibility we embrace by focusing obsessively on the issues that will have a quantifiable impact on our customers and our company growth.
- Yes Before No: We are optimistic about our ability to change lives by transforming outmoded processes. We believe our efforts can create a better future, and it is our attitude that will allow us to pull that future closer.
- Start With Why: We don't presume to understand the intentions of the people around us, whether coworkers or customers. We ask honest questions and listen to feedback in order to gain insight, build trust, and create memorable experiences.
- Stamp Together: We create a strong team and a welcoming workplace by valuing diverse perspectives. Every role in our organization is supported and valued equally, without regard to location or background.
Notarize is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We'd love to hear from you.