at Indigo (View all jobs)
Indigo is a company dedicated to harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. With a vision of creating a world where farming is an economically desirable and accessible profession, Indigo works alongside its growers to apply natural approaches, conserve resources for future generations, and grow healthy food for all. Indigo’s Biological Products, Marketplace, and Carbon offerings improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. Indigo Marketplace is a platform connecting growers with a network of buyers to secure optimal prices for their crops and offers hands-on control of a grower’s business through a range of pricing tools, real-time national bid discovery, and automated grain sales. Indigo Carbon, is a platform paying growers for increases in soil carbon content and decreases in greenhouse gas emissions. It helps growers realize additional revenue, healthier soils, and a more resilient farm by participation in a market of high-quality carbon credits – supported by rigorous quantification standards. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Basel, Switzerland, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil.
Indigo’s Biological Products organization develops products based upon our deep understanding of the plant microbiome. The company has commercialized such products for cotton, wheat, barley, corn, soybeans, and rice in North America, Latin America, and Europe under the biotrinsic™ brand. Our R&D and product development teams are working to continue to develop products that address the growing number of abiotic and biotic stresses that crops experience worldwide.
The role of the Microbial Quality Assurance Research Associate is to ensure that Indigo seed applied microbial products meet established quality standards and expectations by performing microbial analytical procedures to characterize in-process and commercial microbial samples.
This is a hands-on microbial laboratory position, where you will apply and continue to develop your skills in securing highest level of quality in your results, and continued improvements in procedures. Indigo works with all types of microorganisms, so you will develop expertise handling many genera of plant-associated Fungi and Bacteria.
• Assist with experiments to define more efficient and cost effective microbial analytic protocols and develop assays for high throughput screening
• Follow established QC processes and protocols to determine concentration, purity and physical attributes (e.g. viscosity, density and moisture contents) of microbial samples under critical timelines
• Conduct stability analysis on intermediate and final formulations
• Coordinate incoming samples from contract manufacturers
• Track and organize sample and retain inventory
• Maintain the sample testing calendar
• Assist creating cell banks for manufacturing
• Record and interpret QC data, using Excel, and issue Certificate of Analyses
• Occasionally isolate DNA from microbial samples
• Ensure analytic equipment is in good operating order through calibration, troubleshooting, preventive maintenance and related record keeping.
• Execute on contamination preventive initiatives, using 5S methodology
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy; organized and methodical
• Experience working in a fast-paced and flexible environment with a sense of urgency
• Team player with strong work ethic and demonstrated ability to work and communicate with internal and external collaborators
• Willing to learn from industry operation and contribute possessing knowledge from previous experiences
• Mindset of lean-concept based continuous improvement
• Passion for agriculture and sustainable solutions
• Bachelor’s degree with 1-2 years or Master’s degree in Biology, Biotechnology, or Microbiology.
• Strong microbiology and associated microbial testing methodologies background, with applied experience in CFU plating, physical attribute testing, and demonstrated proficiency with sterile technique
• Working knowledge of Quality Control procedures and processes, experience writing and following SOPs
• Experience with data entry, validation and interpretation, with prior use of Excel required
• Working experience in Agriculture science area is plus