Research Associate I - Quality Assurance at Indigo
We’re an international agtech startup pioneering an ambitious mission in a high growth industry where agriculture meets technology to solve our toughest climate and economic challenges. Through the use of data-driven insights, natural microbiology, and innovative digital technologies, Indigo is partnering across the supply chain, ultimately cultivating a scalable climate solution and enhanced partner ecosystem that beneficially serves farmers, consumers, and the planet alike.
Our mission is unique, and therefore our teams are too: from multigenerational farming gurus who understand the land as though it were an extension of themselves, to cutting-edge techies on the frontier of innovation, our teams are a reflection of the range of the stakeholders we serve: the Earth, the Farmer, and the Consumer.
Indigo’s Biological Products organization develops products based upon our deep understanding of the plant microbiome. The company has commercialized such products for cotton, wheat, barley, corn, soybeans, and rice in North America, Latin America, and Europe under the biotrinsic™ brand. Our R&D and product development teams are working to continue to develop products that address the growing number of abiotic and biotic stresses that crops experience worldwide.
The role of the Microbial Quality Assurance Research Associate is to ensure that Indigo seed applied microbial products meet established quality standards and expectations by performing microbial analytical procedures to characterize in-process and commercial microbial samples.
This is a hands-on microbial laboratory position, where you will apply and continue to develop your skills in securing highest level of quality in your results, and continued improvements in procedures. Indigo works with all types of microorganisms, so you will develop expertise handling many genera of plant-associated Fungi and Bacteria.
• Assist with experiments to define more efficient and cost effective microbial analytic protocols and develop assays for high throughput screening
• Follow established QC processes and protocols to determine concentration, purity and physical attributes (e.g. viscosity, density and moisture contents) of microbial samples under critical timelines
• Conduct stability analysis on intermediate and final formulations
• Coordinate incoming samples from contract manufacturers
• Track and organize sample and retain inventory
• Maintain the sample testing calendar
• Assist creating cell banks for manufacturing
• Record and interpret QC data, using Excel, and issue Certificate of Analyses
• Occasionally isolate DNA from microbial samples
• Ensure analytic equipment is in good operating order through calibration, troubleshooting, preventive maintenance and related record keeping.
• Execute on contamination preventive initiatives, using 5S methodology
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy; organized and methodical
• Experience working in a fast-paced and flexible environment with a sense of urgency
• Team player with strong work ethic and demonstrated ability to work and communicate with internal and external collaborators
• Willing to learn from industry operation and contribute possessing knowledge from previous experiences
• Mindset of lean-concept based continuous improvement
• Passion for agriculture and sustainable solutions
• Bachelor’s degree with 1-2 years or Master’s degree in Biology, Biotechnology, or Microbiology.
• Strong microbiology and associated microbial testing methodologies background, with applied experience in CFU plating, physical attribute testing, and demonstrated proficiency with sterile technique
• Working knowledge of Quality Control procedures and processes, experience writing and following SOPs
• Experience with data entry, validation and interpretation, with prior use of Excel required
• Working experience in Agriculture science area is plus
We’re building the technology to feed the world and fight climate change. We believe that through teamwork we can achieve more to benefit all of agriculture: from farmers to consumers to the planet. Game changers don't fit in a box. The requirements listed above are examples of what we think enables success in this role, but we recognize the impossibility of fully capturing a singularly perfect description, and we believe in the power of diversified and creative displays of skills and qualifications. We embrace unconventional. We embrace creativity. We embrace a challenge to the status quo. If the specifications in the list below aren’t an exact match... great! Apply, be you, and be proud that you aren’t ordinary (we certainly aren’t!).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status