QA Engineer at Toast
*This role is being hired as part of a cohort with new hires starting in November, December and January. Please only apply if you're able to start in one of those three months.*
Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
If you want to help create something tangible that is used every day, help small businesses achieve their vision, and take on the challenge of scaling a SaaS product from millions of users to hundreds of millions of users, Toast is the place for you.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Managing the testing process in an agile workflow
- Creating and executing comprehensive test plans for new features
- Participating with the QA team in regularly scheduled release testing cycles
- Using Jira to log and update defects that are identified during testing
- Working collaboratively with team members to triage and prioritize defects
- Participating in test design reviews to ensure technical implementations are properly tested
- Working closely with product managers to understand customer requirements
- Staying current with latest QA tools, trends and practices
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Experience writing and executing test plans
- Well-versed in tiered web application architecture and databases
- Strong communication skills - verbal and written
- Ability to multi-task and work in a dynamic environment
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is built primarily using Angular and ES6, with newer components using React. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end.