Indigo improves grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health through the use of natural microbiology and digital technologies. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes and agronomic insights, Indigo works with growers to sustainably produce high quality harvests. The company then connects growers and buyers directly to bring these harvests to market. Working across the supply chain, Indigo is forwarding its mission of harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Sydney, Australia, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil. http://www.indigoag.com/
Your role as a Process Engineer will be first to monitor and report on the performance of the contract manufacturers (CMOs) involved in the production and supply of Indigo’s microbial treatments. You will also drive continuous improvement efforts in cost, quality, and consistency with the CMOs by analyzing performance data, identifying opportunities and executing improvement projects. You will be responsible for identifying and qualifying new CMOs with capabilities and capacity to supplement and compliment Indigo’s own and those of other CMOs. Finally, you will lead key cross-functional projects in support Indigo’s manufacturing strategy. This position will be based at our headquarters in Charlestown (Boston), MA.
Identify critical operating parameters that drive performance and quality (inputs and outputs) for each contract manufacturer and develop a prioritized list of improvement opportunities
In conjuction with BioProcessing and Tech Transfer, develop a standard format for batch records. Create a library to store and compile completed batch records for analysis
Complete training on most common unit operations within Manufacturing (liquid / solid state fermentation, centrifugation, spray drying, lyophilization, liquid blending, powder blending)
Create a database for consolidating key process monitoring data for detailed analysis. Incorporate data from past batches where possible
Create a searchable database to store relevant information on current and future potential contract manufacturers
- Quick learner
- Can effectively troubleshoot, diagnose, and resolve quality-related process issues. Can develop cause & effect analyses.
- Organized / capable of managing multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Strong communicator
- Possesses effective project management skills
- Knowledgeable about experimental design
- 5 - 10 years as process or production engineer; BS / MS; ChemE / BioChemE or similar
- Food / biotech / pharma experience
- Lean / 6 Sigma green belt or higher desired
- Worked with an ERP system (SAP, Oracle, etc).
- Fermentation (liquid and/or solid state) experience required
- Spray drying and liquid / powder blending experience desired
- Experience using engineering-design software (modeling, ChemCAD, etc)
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.