Process Engineer at Indigo
What if nature could be harnessed to help farmers sustainably feed the planet? Since 2014, Indigo has questioned agriculture's full value chain to improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. The company’s scientific discoveries and digital innovations have amplified new value from soil to sale, benefiting more than 10,000 growers to date. Indigo is also the company behind The Terraton Initiative, a global effort to drawdown one trillion tons of atmospheric carbon dioxide by unlocking the potential of agricultural soils. In 2019, Indigo was ranked #1 on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Indigo has additional offices in Memphis, TN; Research Triangle Park, NC; Sydney, Australia; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Basel, Switzerland; and São Paulo, Brazil.
Your role as a Process Engineer will be first to monitor and report on the performance of the contract manufacturers (CMOs) involved in the production and supply of Indigo’s microbial treatments. You will also drive continuous improvement efforts in cost, quality, and consistency with the CMOs by analyzing performance data, identifying opportunities and executing improvement projects. You will be responsible for identifying and qualifying new CMOs with capabilities and capacity to supplement and compliment Indigo’s own and those of other CMOs. Finally, you will lead key cross-functional projects in support Indigo’s manufacturing strategy. This position will be based at our headquarters in Charlestown (Boston), MA.
Identify critical operating parameters that drive performance and quality (inputs and outputs) for each contract manufacturer and develop a prioritized list of improvement opportunities
In conjuction with BioProcessing and Tech Transfer, develop a standard format for batch records. Create a library to store and compile completed batch records for analysis
Complete training on most common unit operations within Manufacturing (liquid / solid state fermentation, centrifugation, spray drying, lyophilization, liquid blending, powder blending)
Create a database for consolidating key process monitoring data for detailed analysis. Incorporate data from past batches where possible
Create a searchable database to store relevant information on current and future potential contract manufacturers
- Quick learner
- Can effectively troubleshoot, diagnose, and resolve quality-related process issues. Can develop cause & effect analyses.
- Organized / capable of managing multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Strong communicator
- Possesses effective project management skills
- Knowledgeable about experimental design
- 5 - 10 years as process or production engineer; BS / MS; ChemE / BioChemE or similar
- Food / biotech / pharma experience
- Lean / 6 Sigma green belt or higher desired
- Worked with an ERP system (SAP, Oracle, etc).
- Fermentation (liquid and/or solid state) experience required
- Spray drying and liquid / powder blending experience desired
- Experience using engineering-design software (modeling, ChemCAD, etc)
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.