Principal Software Engineer at Hopper
| Greater Boston Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 12:59 p.m. (EST) on Wednesday, August 18, 2021
Hopper offers a remote work policy that empowers employees to work from anywhere. Employees have the opportunity to work in an office environment or they can receive a work-from-home stipend if they prefer to work from home.
About the job
A stellar opportunity to have massive impact: join the rapidly growing team at a company continually redefining how people travel. As Principal Software Engineer, you will be directly responsible for many of the innovative features we’ll be working on, working on projects of exceptionally deep technical complexity, as well as helping us navigate our technical vision ensuring we’re always continually setting a high standard for what we produce.
The ideal candidate has:
• Thrived in complex microservices ecosystem and written robust and well-performing web services
• A drive to iterate architecture in harmony with an agile workflow
• Designed and developed new microservices in an environment fuelling the actions and experience of millions of users
• Experience acting as catalyst for change in Agile development teams
• A love of learning and teaching
In this role, you will:
- Pioneer future development and technical execution for the services that drive our consumer travel app
- Mentor and drive team members towards an inspiring vision, being a huge proponent of best practices, performance and reliability
- Deliver complex features and help our team pioneer new functionalities for our customers leveraging Swift, Kotlin, and Scala and technologies like Kafka or GCP Pub/Sub, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL, Redis.
- Collaborate directly with the company’s technology leadership on insuring Hopper’s success
- Mentor and coach technical team members
Our tech stack:
- We have a microservice architecture with over 200+ services.
- Mostly Scala on the backend with some Python.
- Our UIs are Mobile first: Swift on iOS and Kotlin on Android.
- We mostly host our services on Google Cloud with some on-prem.
- We use things like HBase, Kafka, Pub/Sub, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL, S3, Delos, Redis.
- We are driven by data so Amplitude, Big Query and Datadog will be your buddies.
Perks of working with us:
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
More about Hopper
Today, Hopper is best known as a travel app. We're going to do about $1B in sales this year and weathered the COVID storm better than anyone expected. We just raised $170M from Goldman Sachs and Capital One, and inked a deal to be the exclusive travel provider for Capital One Travel.
We owe our success, in large part, to a proprietary suite of data-driven and risk-based financial services that we have developed that complement a customer's trip-purchasing experience. One example is Price Freeze, where our customers are able to purchase a financial option in the app to lock in any price that they see, on any item, for as short as 1 hour or as long as 21 days with Hopper taking the risk on the other side of the trade.
Now we're laying the groundwork for continued expansion in 2021 by adding great people to our team who can help us compete with the travel giants.
Read Full Job Description