Principal Software Engineer at Toast
We’re not your traditional tech company and we don’t aim to be. Going against the grain is in our DNA. Building a revolutionary product begins with revolutionary thinking. That’s why we value diversity background and lived experience. Together, we empower restaurants of all sizes to build great teams, increase revenue, improve operations, and delight their guests. We pair our deep understanding of the restaurant industry with powerful cloud based software and restaurant-grade hardware to deliver an intuitive all-in-one platform. Join us on our mission to empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Toast is looking for a Principal Software Engineer with Android experience to play a critical role for our core teams. These teams build our most heavily used features - to take orders for our restaurant customers and to manage the complex workflows during restaurant service. We utilize technology to help our restaurants be more efficient while consistently offering their customers the best dining experience possible. We need your help to build Android solutions that will scale to millions of concurrent diners and hundreds of thousands of restaurants.
Some projects we’ve been working on recently include:
- Server features including allowing them to bulk administer checks to another server at the end of their shift
- Refactoring to enable faster development, better testability, reliability and usability
- Optimizing performance of the user interface and creating performance dashboards and benchmarks
- Re-designing complex ordering workflows based off an event-sourced architecture
As an Android Principal Software Engineer for the core teams, you will be:
- Hands on with Android while crafting, building and maintaining high performance mobile apps
- Designing highly resilient, flexible & scalable enterprise applications
- Embedded on the orders workflow team, but owning architecture across the core teams
- Providing mentorship to other senior engineers
Do you have the right ingredients?
- Proficient in Java and/or Kotlin
- Expert in the Android ecosystem
- Experience with a large scale enterprise organization
- Passionate about building great software
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The web front-end is built primarily using Angular and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end.