Principal Software Engineer & Team Lead, e-Commerce
We are a rapidly growing company that’s revolutionizing the way the restaurant industry does business by pairing technology with an extraordinary commitment to customer success. We help restaurants streamline operations, increase revenue, and deliver amazing guest experiences through our platform that combines restaurant point of sale, guest-facing technology, and award-winning customer support. As a Toaster, you will be challenged to take on meaningful projects that will help craft the future of the company. Join us as we empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Toast is looking for a Principal Software Engineer to play a leadership role on a team responsible for owning and evolving a large feature set in the Toast e-Commerce product. The team will own code that spans across our entire stack, from our web and mobile experiences, to back-end microservices, to front-end management UIs. Your team's code will be used daily by hundreds of thousands of restaurant staff, and millions of guests. You will also play a role in evolving our architecture to support ever more complex new features, and best-in-class monitoring as we scale to orders of magnitude of our current size!
Some projects you’ll work on immediately include:
- Execute on Toast’s e-commerce product roadmap
- Develop seamless API integrations to the rest of the Toast platform ecosystems
- Identifying and developing needed microservices for the e-Commerce platform
As a Principal Software Engineer on the e-Commerce team, you will:
- Design solutions collaboratively with your team to deliver on key product features
- Engage in build vs. buy scenarios to help shape the company’s technology landscape
- Take ownership of existing code, and address quality and scale challenges
- Deliver on tech designs working closely with product management in an agile manner
- Ensure that everything under your purview is delivered with quality and is appropriately monitored and supported in production
- Take appropriate steps to grow and develop both yourself and your teammates
- Ultimately ensure that the team is delivering impact and business value
Do you have the right ingredients?
- Proficient in Java or another object oriented language
- Proficient with traditional databases and alternative data stores
- Experience delivering high quality, reliable services to production
- Excellent cross-team communication skills on complex technical topics
- Prior experience as tech lead or team lead
- Empathy for users, both internal (other Toast teams) and external (our restaurants)
- Passionate about building great software
- Experience with Kotlin is a plus
- Prior experience with distributed systems, microservices and capacity planning is a plus
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is built primarily using Angular and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end.