Acquia is driving the open-source revolution as the leading provider of cloud-based digital experience management solutions. What does that mean? Collaborators within Acquia and volunteers around the globe are continually strengthening Drupal, our award-winning platform, to fuel the dreamers and doers who are delivering amazing digital experiences at the world’s most ambitious brands like Pinterest, Whole Foods, and the Australian government.
Our success begins with our team. That’s why Acquia prides itself on hiring innovative people who demonstrate an eagerness to grow, make an impact, and seek out new challenges to create bigger, better, and bolder customer experiences.
To do this, we match our talented new hires that have a passion and dedication to learning and contributing with opportunities that not only harness their strengths but also challenge them to stretch beyond their comfort zone and tackle problems at the edge of their skill set. Our goal is to present opportunities that inspire collaboration, creativity, and professional development.
About the team you will be on…
The Principal Software Engineer is an integral member of the Acquia technology team and ensures that the company’s software products are well engineered, operable, maintainable, and aligned with the strategy and vision of the business.
We work on a variety of exciting projects ranging from running massive microservice infrastructures, building highly available database clusters, scaling data pipelines and machine learning to enable our customers to deliver amazing digital experiences that are visited by millions of people each day.
As the Principal Software Engineer, you will…
- Influence and lead other product and engineering teams via quality of ideas, code and communication as a domain expert but not as the reporting manager for any of them
- Interface with and influence internal stakeholders, including the CPO and CTO, engineering leads, product managers, and executives
- Diagram and document current and future architectural plans sufficiently that necessary stakeholders can understand how Acquia's technology works
- Drive deployment of new features or systems and the retirement of old ones, overcoming inertial resistance to change from customers and employees, in order to simplify product development and operations and increase velocity
- Have a solid understanding of the platform and how different parts interact with each other
- Mentor other engineers
- Write blogs, white papers, and demonstrate domain expertise for internal/external publication
- Collaborate with vendors and influence their roadmap to align with Acquia’s long term roadmap
You’ll enjoy this role if you are…
- Able to influence and lead experienced and battle-tested engineers by example
- A passionate learner who provides guidance through questions as opposed to statements
- Inclined to document and diagram ideas as a primary method of communication
- Able to communicate complex, technical concepts to a wide range of stakeholders with varying perspectives and technical expertise
- Comfortable under pressure and welcome new challenges
- Able to work in an agile DevOps methodology collaborating and enabling all around them
What you’ll need to be successful…
- Deep, working knowledge of LAMP stack
- Strong Object Oriented Programming experience
- Cloud hosting experience (e.g., Amazon Web Services, Google Compute)
- Holistic understanding of the Internet and hosting from the network layer up through the application layer.
- 10+ years of related experience
- Strong background with service oriented architecture, building scalable, reliable systems
Extra credit if you have...
- Strong experience in different programming languages: PHP, Ruby, Go, Python
- Configuration management (e.g., Puppet, Ansible, Chef)
- Experience with modern containerization systems: Docker, LXC, etc.
- Web security and compliance experience (e.g., Firewalls, IDS/IPS systems, DOS prevention and PCI, HIPAA, FedRAMP, etc.)
- Networking (e.g., TCP/IP, Routing, DNS, load balancing, HTTP caching, clustering, VPN, etc.)
- Experienced Linux OS system management (Ubuntu, Centos)
- Automated testing and continuous integration experience--Jenkins, TravisCI, unit tests, system tests, etc.
- Drupal setup, maintenance and operational knowledge
- Advanced knowledge of distributed database management and concepts
- Advanced knowledge of distributed file system management and concepts
We are committed to continually strengthening our people-first culture within our Acquia family. Acquia is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment for all. Our highly motivated team features individuals from a multitude of backgrounds who offer their unique perspectives, starting with their first project as a new hire to their 100th as a manager and beyond. For every step in between, we help Acquians grow by promoting a culture of continuous learning through mentorship, knowledge-sharing, feedback, and more.
Thank you for considering Acquia for your next career move, and we look forward to receiving your application. There’s no such thing as the perfect candidate. So, we’re not looking for someone who matches all of our criteria; we’re looking for someone with the potential to grow outward and upward. Regardless of how much of the criteria you meet, you should apply!
Acquia is an equal opportunity (EEO) employer. We hire without regard to age, color, disability, gender (including gender identity), marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.