Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US and we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
The CarGurus Labs Wholesale Engineering team is looking for skilled a Principal Software Engineer to work on exciting new projects in the automotive space. These projects tend to have longer time horizons due to their challenging and exploratory nature. As such, an interest in rapid experimentation and iteration is a core attribute for successful team members.
Our team is focused on finding non-traditional approaches to hard problems using data, asking better questions, measuring outcomes and quickly iterating on the solutions. We embrace the 80/20 rule.
One of our core beliefs is that useful data will lead to the best outcomes. We make decisions based on our data and insights. Each engineer manages their own products and projects. The autonomy in engineering is something we are very proud of and work hard to maintain. There will be great projects that can be both challenging and long term.
This is a very exciting time for CarGurus and is huge opportunity for you to be a part of something truly amazing!
Recent examples of public initiatives are:
- P2P – Making selling or buying cars privately easy, safe, and secure.
- Instant Offers – Helping sellers who sell privately get the best offer from a local dealer through a real time auction.
- Finance & Digital Retail – Enabling car buying online, starting with financing transparency.
Our startup DNA means we particularly value diverse set of backgrounds and perspectives. Come help build the next phase of CarGurus!
What You'll Do:
- Collaborate with fellow engineers, designers, and data analysts to take an idea from concept to technical design to implementation to testing to measurement.
- Provide technical and architectural leadership
- Lead teams of fellow engineers including mentorship of new teammates
- Pitch in wherever there will be the greatest impact. This could be anything from implementing a new full consumer facing feature, to integrating with a key partner or technology, to a quick vapor or A/B test to help determine what’s next.
- Continuously learn and expand your capabilities
Who You Are:
- 10+ years of industry experience
- Ability to write high quality code and tests
- Curiosity, equal desire to learn and teach
- Experience architecting performant large scale web applications
- Expert in OOP (Java preferred),
- React experience would be a huge plus
- Solid experience in the data layer including SQL, caching strategies, and storage alternatives
- Leader in full-stack performance, data modeling/management, and web tier technologies
- Curious and plays well with others
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada and the UK—with other markets on the horizon. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA and London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.