Principal Software Engineer, Architecture- Consumer Digital Ordering at Toast
Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Are you ready for a change?
Toast is looking for a Principal Software Engineer to take responsibility for building new, innovative solutions to expand our Guest-facing capabilities. As well as providing a cutting edge point of sale system for restaurants, Toast processes billions of dollars of payments through consumer experiences that guests use directly. As we build new solutions to meet the needs of our customers and their guests, we are building systems that are increasingly extensible, robust, scalable, and deliverable continuously. We need your help to improve our platform and add the next generation of products, and with a massive shift from in-restaurant dining to digital ordering, you will have the opportunity to make an impact immediately.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Help lead our team through the creation of our next generation digital ordering architecture
- Hands-on contributions in designing, building, reviewing, testing, debugging, configuring, integrating, documenting, and maintaining - high performance, flexible, and highly scalable services and integration pipelines that make up our digital ordering platform
- Collaborate with UX, PM, QA and Engineering to build best-in-class solutions in a complex and fast-moving environment
- Champion best practices for development, deployment and quality life-cycles
- Guide the growth & development of engineers with mentoring, training and performance management
Do you have the right ingredients? (Requirements)
- Experience delivering high quality, reliable services to production using Java, Kotlin or other object oriented language(s)
- Proficient in Software Development best practices (Code Quality, UnitTest, BDD)
- Experience leading a team in the Agile/Scrum methodology
- Experience building & leading engineering teams and guiding career paths
- Experience with payment processing platforms a bonus
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
Our Tech Stack
Our products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java and Kotlin on DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to DynamoDB to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with service elevations and robust load balancing. We store data in PostgreSQL databases or DynamoDB tables depending on use case, and utilize Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The web frontend is built using React and ES6. Our restaurant point of sale application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. Apache Pulsar and Camel are used extensively in our integration transaction workflow processing.
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.