Principal Cloud Application Performance Engineer at Nuance
Nuance is the pioneer and leader in conversational artificial intelligence (AI) innovations that bring intelligence to everyday work and life. We deliver solutions that understand, analyze, and respond to people, amplifying human intelligence to increase productivity and improve security. With decades of both domain and AI expertise, we work with thousands of organizations across a wide range of industries.
Join our team! At Nuance, we are constantly reinventing how people connect with technology and with each other. Our AI-powered solutions empower organizations to transform “business as usual.” For decades, the world’s leading financial, healthcare, telecommunications, retailers, and government organizations have trusted Nuance to bring them award-winning solutions that deliver more meaningful outcomes and empower a smarter, more connected world. From clinical speech recognition technologies that free physicians to spend more time caring for patients to real-time intelligence that powers billions of customer interactions, we’re deeply committed to helping organizations push the boundaries of what’s possible.
Nuance is looking for a talented individual with proven track record to take up an exciting role of a Principal Cloud Application Performance Engineer within its HealthCare Research and Development Unit. Our customers count on our applications and services to be fast, reliable and secure. The candidate will be working with a talented group of cross-functional individuals to plan, design and build various tools, systems and infrastructure that enables continuous integration, testing, monitoring, elasticity and delivery of products and solutions on our hosted cloud platform.
The candidate must be a self-starter and be able to manage and prioritize tasks at any given time. Monitoring the platform, reacting to problems and proactively addressing issues before they affect performance or availability is going to be a prime focus for this individual. In this role, the candidate will work on products that are used by various health care providers to provide healthcare and life critical services to patients around the world.
As a Principal Cloud Application Performance Engineer, the candidate will:
- Expand monitoring of our Healthcare Applications and Services to improve application performance, availability, and resiliency through real-time monitoring.
- Provide testing and analysis of high-volume systems to ensure they are compliant with load and performance requirements and can perform well in production.
- Define the monitoring tools, design, and configuration needed to streamline the benchmarking process of application, infrastructure and services.
- Work with internal cross-functional teams to build solutions that includes network, systems, and application performance dashboards that help identify scale-related issues proactively.
- Provide visibility for all product offerings by developing tools to determine performance and scale challenges and parameters for various features.
- Implement Infrastructure as a service and Infrastructure as code practices wherever applicable.
- Work to automate detection and resolution of recurring issues in the production environment.
- Assist in developing/updating documentation including service catalog, implementations, configurations, processes, and policies.
- Stay up-to-date on relevant technologies internally as well as externally, plug into user groups, understand trends and opportunities to ensure we are using the best possible techniques and tools.
- Advanced experience with application performance monitoring tools including Splunk, Dynatrace, AppDynamics, and/or New Relic in a highly scalable and distributed platform.
- Advanced scripting knowledge and experience with regular expressions, Bash, PowerShell, and Python
- Demonstrated experience with open source load testing tools such as Apache JMeter, httperf, etc.
- Experience with operating large-scale production systems in the Cloud (Azure, GCP, AWS).
- Experience in integration design supporting mission critical business processes.
- Experience with system capacity monitoring and forecasting applications.
- Experience working in a Linux and Windows environment.
- Experience with network & firewall topology.
- Experience with SQL or equivalent language.
- Experience using source control systems such as Perforce and GIT.
- Experience with configuration management systems like Chef, Puppet, Ansible or Salt etc.
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
- Must be action oriented, capable of multitasking well based on priorities.
- Ability to build, use and configure metrics collection, reporting and alerting systems.
- Experience with continuous integration systems like Jenkins, Azure DevOps etc.
- Familiarity with containerization, Docker and Kubernetes frameworks.
- Familiarity with Infrastructure as Code practices.
- Familiarity with SRE practices such as continuous integration and continuous delivery.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with the Atlassian Tools such as JIRA/Confluence.
Required Education and Experience:
Applicants must meet one of the following educations and experience requirements:
- 8+ years of relevant experience and a bachelor’s degree in computer science or an engineering field
- 6+ years of relevant experience and a master’s degree in computer science or an engineering field
Nuance offers a compelling and rewarding work environment. We offer market competitive salaries, bonus, equity, benefits, meaningful growth and development opportunities and a casual yet technically challenging work environment. Join our dynamic, entrepreneurial team and become part of our continuing success.
Nuance Communication Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster and its supplement is available here. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 781-565-5086 – Human Resources Department and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.