• 2+ years experience thriving in dynamic backend environments, delivering user experience at scale.
• An understanding of distributed systems and how architectural decisions affect performance and maintainability.
• Experience working with persistence technologies and the ability to bring leading industry techniques and technologies to the table.
• A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs and scales.
• Excels in cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Mobile Engineers, and other highly skilled specialists.
About the job
Do you want to make a substantial impact on the future of Hopper's travel technology? We're hiring a specialist in Backend Development to join our Fintech team and help us innovate the evolution of travel selling and booking technology. Fintech contributes to 70% of the company's overall revenue and as a Software Engineer, you will be directly responsible for crafting, implementing, and deploying the sophisticated backend systems that power Hopper’s award-winning user experience.
- Solve sophisticated technical problems that address scalability issues to improve the user experience.
- Work in a dynamic microservices' environment with a rich API tier and make important architectural decisions about core backend systems.
- Ship your first code in days, iterating on features in an agile manner using Scala and technologies like GCP, Kafka, BigQuery, BigTable, HBase, Cloud SQL among others.
- Collaborate with a diverse group of people, across Engineering, Data Science, Product and Leadership, executing on big opportunities and helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry!
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
More about Hopper
Today, Hopper is best known as a travel app. We're going to do about $1B in sales this year and weathered the COVID storm better than anyone expected. We just raised $170M from Goldman Sachs and Capital One, and inked a deal to be the exclusive travel provider for Capital One Travel.
We owe our success, in large part, to a proprietary suite of data-driven and risk-based financial services that we have developed that complement a customer's trip-purchasing experience. One example is Price Freeze, where our customers are able to purchase a financial option in the app to lock in any price that they see, on any item, for as short as 1 hour or as long as 21 days with Hopper taking the risk on the other side of the trade.
Now we're laying the groundwork for continued expansion in 2021 by adding great people to our team who can help us compete with the travel giants.
Read Full Job Description