Performance Engineer II at Chewy
Chewy is growing! We’re looking for a Performance Engineer to join our team in Boston, MA. Chewy is the go-to online shopping destination for all things pet and we are continuously striving to delight pet parents with a seamless experience across our platforms.
The Performance team is looking for a self-motivated individual who loves improving application performance. The team’s mission is to empower Engineering teams to deliver reliable and high-performance services and features at Chewy’s scale. We build performance testing and observability frameworks that make it easy for engineers to quickly get self-service performance and scalability feedback about their proposed code and infrastructure changes. Join the Performance Engineering team to champion performance, deliver fast applications, and drive our platform to architectural excellence.
What You’ll Do:
- Researching and developing tools and frameworks to evaluate performance of our platform.
- Developing fully automated systems for accurate, consistent, and reliable measurement of performance metrics.
- Partnering with SRE’s, product management and development teams to build the right set of performance tests and performance monitors that identify our platform capabilities and limitations.
- Executing performance tests, analyzing results, documenting and presenting those results.
- Working in a fast paced agile environment with multiple development teams and providing direction to the teams on performance concerns and improvements.
- Creating and evangelizing performance standards across software applications and teams.
- Integrating performance tests into the CI pipeline.
- Determining how to meet growing capacity requirements while ensuring reliability within the platform.
What You’ll Need:
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in software development, DevOps, site reliability, software performance engineering, or QA automation.
- Strong knowledge of the Linux OS.
- Java programming and data analysis skills.
- Eagerness to design and create tools that exercise our platform and measure platform performance.
- The ability to deal with unexpected issues and try new approaches to get yourself unstuck.
- Well-developed clear communication skills and the ability to influence and discuss complex technical concepts with a diverse audience across all areas of the organization.
- Candidate must possess a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or related field, or equivalent experience
Bonus (if applicable):
- Experience in performance testing of complex systems.
- Knowledge of the performance of Java based applications and AWS-hosted applications.
- Scripting ability (shell, python).
- Experience in chaos testing.
- Experience with monitoring and analysis tools such as DataDog, Splunk, New Relic, Dynatrace, Sumologic, Sentry, and the ELK stack.
- High-level of comfort and know-how to work with senior developers, product managers, and engineering directors across the organization