Navigation and Controls Engineer at Greensea Systems, Inc
Greensea seeks a Navigation and Controls Engineer to work within our multidisciplinary technical staff supporting the design, implementation, and support of software systems for submersible robots. Greensea is working to provide solutions to some of the most challenging problems facing operators using robotics in the ocean today. Solving these problems will provide potential for robotics within critical sectors of the marine industry including maritime Explosive Ordnance Disposal, Special Operations, and ship hull inspection and grooming. Providing solutions that meet the expectations of operators and help them be productive at work will make these robots viable. This is the ultimate job of the Navigation and Controls Engineer.
The Navigation and Controls Engineer will develop novel solutions for effective robot navigation and control to support some of the most complex tasks conceived for submersible robotics. They will work within a small project team to understand the customer story and help Greensea provide a product that meets expectations and requirements. The Navigation and Controls Engineer will be the primary stakeholder for developing, implementing, testing, and supporting the methods the robot uses for localization and control. They will be responsible for the entire spectrum of technology development: requirements and design, algorithm and software development, verification and validation, implementation and support.
The successful candidate has developed, implemented, and used gps-denied aided inertial navigation systems and is experienced with practical sensor fusion and estimation techniques. They have direct experience designing, implementing, and tuning control systems for vehicle stability and vehicle motion and have experience with vehicle autonomy systems. The successful navigation and controls engineer is as comfortable and proficient developing algorithms and writing software as they are working in the shop or on the ocean making things work. Greensea’s Navigation and Controls Engineer will demonstrate complete ownership and accountability for their stake in the program, work cooperatively as a critical team member, and prioritize the customer’s experience and satisfaction in all efforts.
- Work within a small team of multidisciplinary engineers developing comprehensive software solutions to make submersible robots more effective and easier to use for operators.
- Design, develop, implement, test, and support software-based navigation systems for mobile underwater robots.
- Design, develop, implement, test, and support software-based control systems for mobile underwater robots.
- Implement navigation and control system designs using C++ within the OPENSEA framework.
- Support existing and legacy navigation and control systems developed by Greensea.
- Support multiple simultaneous projects.
- Support local and remote robot integration efforts and field testing requiring work in the shop, pier-side, and offshore.
- Bachelors degree in Physics, Engineering, or related field.
- 5+ years experience developing software-based navigation and control systems for robots, submersible preferred.
- Proficiency in C++, Linux, and modern software development tools.
- Proficiency in MATLAB or other modeling and analysis tools.
- Proficiency with the design, analysis, and implementation of optimal estimation methods including Kalman filters.
- Proficiency with modern and classical closed-loop control system design, analysis, and implementation.
- Familiarity with feature-based localization concepts such as SLAM and scene-relative robot control.
- Experience and familiarity with subsea navigation concepts, sensors, and methods.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent team work and problem-solving skills.
- Personal conviction and support for the basic concepts of Agile development principles: customer satisfaction, continuous integration, self organizing teams, and simplicity.
- Drive and motivation to solve exceptionally hard problems and provide operators a simple, reliable, and effective solution.
Greensea (www.greensea.com) is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a casual and fun work environment and provide our employees training and continuing education opportunities. Greensea offers competitive salaries and a complete benefits package including full health insurance, paid vacation, a 401k plan, and sick leave. Visit Greensea.com for more information.