Mechanical Engineer - Optics at Formlabs (Somerville, MA)
To reinvent an industry, you have to build the best team. Join Formlabs if you want to bring groundbreaking professional 3D printers to the desktop of every designer, engineer, researcher, and artist in the world.
Our team works closely with other engineering teams to research and develop Formlabs' next-generation products and materials. The optical engine is a core component of many Formlabs products. The Optical Systems Team needs team members that can help pilot complex optical systems through the entire product life cycle; R&D through production.
Do you enjoy working on industry-leading products? Do you imagine how to make a complex optical system work better? Do you want to make something that hasn't been made before? We want you as a Mechanical Engineer - Optics.
- Develop optical systems for Formlabs products, from concept through production
- Design optical assemblies and adjacent system components
- Analyze feature-performance tradeoffs
- Validate optical system performance
- Troubleshoot the optical system when needed
- Work with other teams to ensure integration of the optical system
- Design calibration and manufacturing schemes and apparatus
- Help transition optical systems to contract manufacturers
- Have experience designing optical components and assemblies
- Want to design optical systems for high-volume products
- Have a curious demeanor and enjoy solving difficult problems
- Can design a set of experiments to validate or troubleshoot optical components and systems
- Think at system level and understand how the optical system affects the overall product
- Experience with Zemax
- Software skills (especially Python or C++)
- Mechanical or electrical design experience
- Flexible vacation
- Premium healthcare coverage
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits
- Unlimited 3D prints
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of 3D printing.