As a Materials Print Engineer, you will continuously improve our existing FFF material set and bring new plastic and composite materials through qualification and out into the market. You will run print test suites and convince leadership that new materials are ready to launch. To do this you will use your materials know-how to look at structure-property relationships, make suggestions on changes to raw materials, and modify printing profiles. Perhaps you will end up tweaking software or changing the rheology of the filaments to get the perfect prints. You will work directly with a team of materials scientists and print engineers and contribute to a collaborative and productive work environment. This role will be focused on the plastics and composites side of our business.What will you own?
- Print & design composite material test suites, with statistically meaningful analysis
- Perform experiments and use results to inform and develop improvements in materials, software, and/or hardware for better properties, robustness, and reliability
- Make hypotheses and determine several ways to test them
- Root cause 3D printing phenomena
- Record data, summarize findings, and present results
- Create easy to follow and detailed documentation
- Maintain composite printers and testing devices
- Comply with safety and protective equipment regulations
Although we list out what we generally look for, we are very likely missing other attributes and skills that you have that could make you a great fit, but are not currently listed. Research has shown this especially applies to women and other marginalized groups, who tend to apply if they check 100% of every box, versus men who apply if they hit roughly 60%. The point we’re getting at, it doesn’t hurt to take a chance and apply!
- A Bachelor's degree in Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related
- Practical and theoretical knowledge of plastics and composites
- Takes ownership of tasks and has strong attention to detail
- Creative problem solver
- Ability to multitask
- Familiarity with CAD (Solidworks preferred) and 3D printing
- We use Apple computers and G-suite collaboration tools. While experience with these tools is not required, the ideal candidate will be excited to broaden their knowledge and embrace change.