Markforged is reinventing manufacturing with the most affordable 3D metal and carbon fiber printers capable of producing parts strong enough for the factory floor. Engineers, designers, and manufacturing professionals all over the world rely on Markforged metal and composite printers for tooling, fixtures, functional prototyping, and high-value end-use production and optimizing their manufacturing and supply chains. Founded in 2013 and based in Watertown, MA, Markforged has about 250 employees globally, with $137 million in both strategic and venture capital. Markforged’s vision is a world in which you build anything you imagine. Markforged was recently recognized by Forbes in the Next Billion-Dollar Startups list and listed as the fastest-growing 3D printing company in the US in the 2019 Deloitte Fast 500. To learn more about Markforged, please visit https://markforged.com.
As a Manufacturing Engineer you will be responsible for the manufacturing quality and performance of all Markforged products, including printers, furnaces and other systems. This individual will report to the Operations Engineering Lead and build a strong relationship with contract manufacturers (CM) and critical sub-tier suppliers while working closely with internal engineering and operation teams. The ideal candidate should exhibit exceptional communication and project management skills along with a strong background in engineering and quality. This individual must be self-motivated, able to handle multiple project assignments and be willing to learn and adapt within a fast-paced engineering organization.
In this role you will:
- Assume role as the technical point-of-contact (POC) with CMs and oversee day-to-day activities at CMs and critical sub-tier suppliers to ensure they are meeting Markforged expectations
- Provide exceptional production support on people, processes, materials, and equipment in order to achieve operation principle goals (safety, quality, service, and productivity)
- Provide mediation between CMs, critical sub-tier suppliers, and Markforged internal teams to address competing priorities and resolve issues to achieve Markforged production requirements
- Work cross-functionally with Markforged Hardware, Software, Operations, Product, Supply Chain, Customer Solutions, and Marketing teams to ensure project alignment and success throughout product life-cycle
- Lead and coordinate continuous improvement projects to reduce errors, increase productivity and drive improvement culture with CMs
- Report manufacturing key performance indicators (KPIs) to ops/eng leaders and to senior management
- Drive accountability with internal and external stakeholders on project deliverables
- Coordinate dual sourcing and supplier launch initiatives
- Perform value analysis and value engineering (VAVE) activities, lead Kaizen events, CAPA resolution, and create value stream maps for key processes
- Identify DFM/A opportunities, mitigate project/products risks, and perform cost/benefit analysis
What we look for:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering (Mechanical, Electro-Mechanical, Manufacturing, or Industrial Engineering preferred)
- 2-5 years related product-based electromechanical experience
- Passion for manufacturing and continuous improvement
- Sharp analytical and mechanical mindset with a desire to apply them toward real-world manufacturing problems
- Experience working and communicating with contract manufacturers and suppliers
- Proficient in Solidworks, 3D modelling of tooling and fixtures, interpretation of detailed engineering drawings, and GD&T
- Experience with change control systems (EPDM, Github, ERP and PLM systems) a plus
- Skills to analyse, troubleshoot, and resolve production assembly/test problems
- Ability to direct time studies to create baselines and identify opportunities for efficiency gains and cost savings
- Experience with production best practices such as LEAN, Kaizen, 5S, and Six Sigma
- Experience with Quality Management Systems (aerospace and/or medical robotics a plus)
- Ability to independently lead cross-functional projects to completion
- Strong verbal and written communication skills - can convey complex technical topics in simple terms across internal departments and external partners
- Ability to master all of the variables that impact delivering a quality product on schedule, including people, process, supply, and technical challenges.
- Not afraid to challenge the status quo and regularly offers their own ideas
- Comfortable with issue escalation when appropriate
- Extremely motivated and organized individual who can be self-directed in both team-based and individual settings
- Works well in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Willingness to travel 10-20% both domestically and internationally
Help us reinvent manufacturing.
We are reinventing manufacturing so that engineers can build anything they imagine.
We are one team that wins together!
You will be engaging every day with passionate and dedicated individuals in a collaborative environment working towards making best-in-class products.
Perks & Benefits
We offer a competitive compensation package and a full suite of benefits, including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 401(k), parental leave, commuter benefits, open PTO policy, and more. Our work environment includes casual dress, a fully stocked kitchen, bike storage, free parking, weekly catered lunches, and fitness perks. You will have unlimited access to our 3D printers for professional and personal parts!
Markforged values the differences among our employees and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. These differences include but are not limited to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. This goal emphasizes the development of inclusive work environments that capitalize on each employee’s skills, experience, and unique perspectives as we strive to achieve an unparalleled standard of excellence.
To all recruitment agencies: Markforged does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Markforged employees. Markforged is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Read Full Job Description