Manager, Device Engineering at Fitbit
At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to more than 1,700 employees, sold over 90 million devices, and built a health and wellness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto and back again! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health, we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health and fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of a startup with the advantages of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, a wellness stipend, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance.
In addition, we have made the following commitments to accelerate our high-performance culture and deliver on our business priorities:
- Champion the customer- to keep all of our customers top of mind, working to improve their experience and increase their satisfaction/loyalty
- Rally Together- to work as one, global, cross-functional team because together we get to stronger outcomes
- Embrace the Challenge- to recognize our unique opportunity to make an impact, taking ownership and initiative to advance our mission.
Fitbit’s HQ is located in the heart of San Francisco and we have additional offices in Boston, San Diego, Salt Lake City, Dublin, Bucharest and in various other markets around the world. Think you’ve found your fit?
About The Role:
The Device Software team is responsible for implementing and integrating all firmware for wearable devices, as well as the software running in Fitbit’s mobile application and cloud infrastructure to integrate the devices into Fitbit's ecosystem. As a Manager of Device Engineering, you will develop and lead a team of exceptional engineers to deliver cutting-edge features in Fitbit’s products. You will own embedded software engineering within certain functional areas across numerous product development and technology development projects. In addition to defining technology roadmaps and strategies in your functional area, you will drive excellence in execution in collaboration with your peers. This is a hands-on engineering management position involving both technical and personnel leadership.
What You'll Work On:
- Build and lead a team of 7-10+ embedded software engineers contributing to and leading development in product and technology projects
- Coach and develop leadership skills of direct reports
- Develop, track, and communicate progress and risks to technology roadmap, maintaining alignment with product roadmap
- Oversee and champion architecture and critical implementations, product and code quality, and use of best practices focused on platform development and leverage
- Develop, maintain, and implement staffing and hiring plans working closely with product teams, firmware department management, and recruiting team
- Participate in firmware department processes and initiatives including budgeting and fostering of a culture of engineering excellence
- May manage one or more external supplier/vendor/partner relationships
- Lead or participate in technology and product development project retrospectives
- 5+ years of experience managing embedded software engineers with simultaneous projects of varying scope
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or comparable skill
- In-depth experience in engineering or managing one or more functional areas such as:
- Communications: Bluetooth, Bluetooth LE, WLAN (802.11b/g/n/ac), NFC, LTE
- User interfaces for embedded devices: graphics/windowing SDKs, fonts, haptic interfaces, internationalization and localisation, LED control
- Platforms: operating systems, system services, BSPs and drivers
- Multimedia: proficient in embedded audio technologies
- Ultra low power / ultra small footprint software design background preferred
- Systems engineering skills for embedded software and hardware
- Experience with commercial software development in a highly constrained RTOS environment
- Familiar with capital budgeting and portfolio planning
- Embedded software product line engineering techniques
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
In Fitbit’s Engineering organization, our values form the guiding principles for how we show up to work every day. We're looking for candidates who will contribute accordingly, making our organization stronger through the way they engage with their work and peers.
Fitbit Engineering Values:
- Respect the trust our customers place in us
- Own your success
- Help others succeed
- Know the “Why”
- Debate, commit, execute
- Make things we are proud of
- Leverage data to decide & iterate
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.