Lead, Software Engineer - Trust & Abuse at Hopper
| Greater Boston Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 1:00 p.m. (EST) on Wednesday, August 18, 2021
• University degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology or Mathematics
• Recent hands-on experience coding and reviewing code, designing systems and APIs
• Experience with architectural patterns of large, high-scale applications.
• Maintained engineering integrity while delivering user value at high velocity
• Experience managing a diverse team of software engineers in an Agile environment
• Hired, retained, and mentored high-performing engineering teams
• Excellent written and spoken communication skills
• Experience in the fraud and abuse prevention domain
• Experience in implementing and deploying data-driven applications at scale, both in-house solutions as well as with a third party partner.
• Microservice development experience using Scala
• Experience with Kubernetes and distributed service architectures
• Experience with cloud deployment in AWS or GCP
About the job
We are looking for a software engineering lead who will help build our Trust & Abuse team from the ground up. At Hopper, we have ambitious growth plans and that comes with the knowledge that we need to provide a secure and reliable platform to monetize our vision and minimize fraud. The Trust & Abuse team is responsible for fighting against all forms of fraud (such as monetary fraud, compromised accounts, incentive fraud). We will also work to ensure that a customer’s experience is both as safe and as frictionless as possible. Trust & Abuse Engineering is responsible for the technology vision and development of a complex stack that runs on every key interaction on the platform.
Specific work will include optimizing our current third party integrations, building our own internal rules, decision engine and machine-learned models, and developing customer-facing and internal account security tools.
As the software engineering lead, you will be directly responsible for leading this development and fostering a culture of operational excellence. You will have a direct role in hiring, retaining and mentoring a team of experienced software engineers and architects. As a hands-on leader, you will relish diving deep and getting your hands dirty. Everything we do is focused on customer experience, data measurement and delivering value at speed. You’ll be the technical leader responsible for making that a reality and lead the group making that happen.
- Collaborate closely with a fast-growing team of engineering, product, and business leaders.
- Design and develop scalable systems to gather signals from payment and identity data providers, to distinguish fraudulent activity from legitimate, and build tools to provide account security
- Lead the team responsible for building platforms, features, and tools that ensure our marketplace is the most secure and frictionless for our customers.
- Establish, maintain and document high data quality standards.
- Coach individual contributors and grow them as technologists.
- Take a leading role in recruitment and process improvements.
- Be a trusted advisor to our technology leadership and your peers
- Champion the Hopper Leadership Principles
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
More about Hopper
Today, Hopper is best known as a travel app. We're going to do about $1B in sales this year and weathered the COVID storm better than anyone expected. We just raised $170M from Goldman Sachs and Capital One, and inked a deal to be the exclusive travel provider for Capital One Travel.
We owe our success, in large part, to a proprietary suite of data-driven and risk-based financial services that we have developed that complement a customer's trip-purchasing experience. One example is Price Freeze, where our customers are able to purchase a financial option in the app to lock in any price that they see, on any item, for as short as 1 hour or as long as 21 days with Hopper taking the risk on the other side of the trade.
Now we're laying the groundwork for continued expansion in 2021 by adding great people to our team who can help us compete with the travel giants.
Read Full Job Description