Full Stack Software Engineer (Senior/Principal-level)
Who we are
BookBub is one of the fastest-growing (and profitable!) consumer tech startups in Boston. Millions of readers use BookBub every day to discover great books, and our service helps thousands of leading publishers and authors drive sales and find new fans. We’re constantly growing our team to launch new consumer-facing book discovery features, tools for authors and publishers, and other web and mobile products that address the digital transition of the publishing industry. Learn more about what to expect working at BookBub.
Our engineering philosophy
We organize into small cross-functional teams that are deeply focused on one product or initiative. These teams are empowered to make product and technology decisions and quickly build the best solutions for our readers, publishers and authors. Our typical teams consist of two to four engineers, a product lead, and a designer. We lean heavily on automation, good test coverage, and continuous deployment to ensure we’re constantly getting rapid feedback from our users, and follow the approach of starting small, shipping often, and deferring unnecessary complexity. Our teams are strongest when we aren’t over-specialized or operating in separate silos, so most engineers rotate to a new team every 6-12 months.
We believe that we build better products when our teammates have a variety of perspectives and experiences, so we care a lot about creating a supportive and inclusive environment; it’s important that everybody who joins BookBub cares about this, too.
In your first six months, you’ll likely:
* Design and build and deploy one or more new systems
* Ship code to production ~100 times via our continuous deployment pipeline
* Pick up a few new programming techniques and hear about several new technologies from our continuously learning team
* Build, launch and test several significant new book discovery features
* Write lots of integration and unit tests (no separate QA team here)
* Engage in many deep technical discussions with really friendly and talented engineers
* Solve at least one really hard scaling challenge
* Work across our entire stack: Rails, AWS, Postgres, React.js, Redis, Redshift, AWS Lambda, Ansible, Docker, Clojure, etc (it’s fine if you haven’t worked with this stack before)
We’re looking for engineers who:
* Are smart, friendly, collaborative, and intellectually curious
* Love to learn and teach, to be both mentors and mentees
* Are sensitive to the perspectives of others and care about creating a positive and inclusive environment
* Possess good judgement on technical tradeoffs
* Enjoy moving products forward quickly, but want to work at a sustainable pace—we're building a business with long-term value
* Have experience building web/mobile/internet products
* Note: distributed systems and high-scale experience are a big pluses, but not required
BookBub offers competitive benefit options including medical, dental, vision, 401k, generous paid parental leave, and take-what-you-need paid time off. Learn more about what to expect working at BookBub.
BookBub strives to be an inclusive workplace and we value learning from different perspectives. We seek to foster an environment filled with people from a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.