Full Stack Developer at MassMutual
Haven Life is an insurtech innovator at MassMutual that offers a new way to get life insurance online that's actually simple.
We combine the culture of a startup with the stability and backing of a Fortune 500 company to create an environment that's truly unique.
Our diverse team is comprised of smart, collaborative people who think big, execute quickly and don't take themselves too seriously. The Boston engineering group within Haven Life is located near South Station in the Leather District, and our team is focused on the mission of providing helpful financial products to mid-market and underserved customers. In case you're wondering, yes, we provide free snacks, and enthusiastic ping pong competition too.
If you're creative, professional and kind, we'd love to hear from you.
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
You will be joining a small, experienced technology team as one of the main developers responsible for our advanced online financial services application. Experience with web development is a plus, although more important to us is real programming experience and thoughtfulness about how and why you do what you do.
Your job will require you to work closely with your fellow technology team members, coordinate with QA resources, and to communicate with business team members in the completion of your work. Working with other developers you might work on items such as: developing components for customer management and service, collecting and reporting site traffic data for marketing purposes, interfacing with in-house and 3rd party verification/security services, and managing interactions with insurance policy administration components. You will be developing microservices for key application functions such as database access, logging, authentication, context management, rest API access, and new needs identified as the application evolves. The job will be varied and challenging.
These are essential to success in this role:
- 2+ years of experience as a developer
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Experience with traditional object-oriented languages (e.g. Java, Python, C++)
- Demonstrable experience in building modern, complex customer-facing web applications
- Exposure to modern MVC (Model-view-controller) frameworks
- A solid grounding in data-driven applications and concepts (data/object modeling, database systems)
- Comfortable expressing and defending points of view while respecting those of others
- Authorized to work in the US with or without sponsorship
- Must be able to work full-time from our Boston office
These are not required but are a plus:
- 3-8+ years of experience preferred
- Experience with Typescript as a programming language
- Experience with GraphQL as a query language and API
- Experience with React part of a front end framework
- Testing strategy definition and framework creation
- Experience delivering unit tests along with new functionality
- Experience and familiarity with financial services or other mathematically oriented applications.
- Working in a startup or agile development environments
- Experience in multi-platform websites (desktop, mobile)
- Experience with PostgreSQL, Oracle, or other Relational DBMS
- Familiarity with Microservice framework
We have a stellar team of co-workers, a really cool office, and lots of fun activities. Oh yeah, and we pay competitive base salaries and we reward performance. Our salary structure is commensurate with experience. In addition, you will be eligible to participate in our comprehensive benefits program including medical insurance and 401(K).
The privacy of your personal information is important to us, click here to review our privacy notice.