Front End Software Engineer, Market+ at Indigo
We’re an international agtech startup aspiring to revolutionize a budding industry where agriculture meets technology. Through the use of data-driven insights, natural microbiology, and innovative digital technologies, Indigo is partnering across the supply chain, ultimately cultivating a scalable climate solution and enhanced ecosystem that beneficially serves farmers, consumers, and the planet alike.
Our mission is unique, and therefore our teams are too: from multigenerational farming experts, who understand the land as though it were an extension of themselves, to cutting-edge technologists and scientists on the frontier of innovation, our teams are a reflection of the range of the stakeholders we serve: the Earth, the Farmer, and the Consumer. Indigo is extraordinary, and we owe that to the people who make up our community and enable success through the diversity of thought, experience, background, perspective, race, sexuality, gender, age, and everything else that makes a person uniquely themselves. Connected by a common vision and empowered by diversity, we aren’t ordinary, and neither are you. Embrace your extraordinary and join Indigo in cultivating a healthier planet fueled by unique game-changers.
As a Software Engineer on the Marketplace team, you’ll create responsive web applications that integrate with a rich ecosystem of services to power our Marketplace platform.
Indigo Marketplace is changing how food is produced and sold—in the U.S. now, and soon around the world. Today, growers don’t have incentive to grow higher-quality crops. In fact, since grain is commoditized, growers’ main incentive is to simply grow as much volume as possible.
Our Marketplace flips the current model on its head by connecting growers directly with buyers and preserving crop identity. This means that growers get paid a premium for growing organic and similarly desirable crops.
Your expertise in interface design and software architecture will help us deliver a world-class application to our growing suite of world-class marketplace products.
As a Software Engineer at Indigo you’ll:
- Help design and implement performant web applications using a modern web stack consisting of Python, Flask, TypeScript, React, and PostgreSQL hosted on AWS
- Build user-facing features for our suite of applications by implementing React Components in Typescript and integrating with REST APIs
- Lead features end to end, from technical design to implementation to deployment to production support, communicating risks and issues to stakeholders, and working together to find a path forward
- Contribute to our internal tools and libraries, looking to leverage shared components, design patterns, and infrastructure wherever possible
- Ensure that all APIs and applications are adequately tested in an automated framework, including functional and performance tests
- Review code, have your code reviewed, and learn from other engineers
- Collaborate with product managers, back-end engineers, and data science engineers to spec, build, test, and deploy high quality code in the cloud
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and data management
- You have experience building web applications professionally for 2+ years
- You’re able to research and propose new technologies or design patterns to improve the software ecosystem
- You can convey technical concepts and trade-offs to both engineering and business audiences
- You bring a positive attitude and self awareness
- You actively work to promote fairness, equality, and diversity in the workplace
- You are a perpetual learner and passionate about technology
You will be a part of a small but mighty team of fun loving solid engineers. People on the team find it a safe place to learn and grow. We provide direct feedback to each other regularly (including to your manager) and help each other improve. We have regular coffee breaks on zoom where we chat about the mysteries of the universe.
The team owns some of the core workflows in Marketplace around contract checkout and contract negotiations. We handle the critical flow from when a grower accepts a bid on Marketplace to when it actually becomes a contract. We are building most components of this workflow from scratch.About Indigo:
We’re building the technology to feed the world and fight climate change. We believe that through teamwork we can achieve more to benefit all of agriculture: from farmers to consumers to the planet.
Game changers don't fit in a box. The requirements listed above are examples of what we think enables success in this role, but we recognize the impossibility of fully capturing a singularly perfect description, and we believe in the power of diversified and creative displays of skills and qualifications. We embrace unconventional. We embrace creativity. We embrace a challenge to the status quo. If the specifications in the list above aren’t an exact match… great! Apply, be you, and be proud that you aren’t ordinary (we certainly aren’t!).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Benefits:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Generous time off
- Parental leave
- A remote-first organization with flexible work hours
- 401(k) plan