Engineering Manager at Klaviyo
Why You Should Join the Content (Templates) Team:
As an Engineering Manager joining the Templates team you can expect to be deeply involved in technical discussions on how we scale our systems, rollout new features, and grow the team.
The Templates team is the owner of Klaviyo’s browser based email template editor and server side rendering pipeline. From developing intuitive interfaces to create highly customizable content, to scaling a rendering pipeline to hundreds of millions of renders a day - this team is core to Klaviyo’s continued product success.
There are ample opportunities for growth given the scope of this role and the team’s central role in Klaviyo’s product.
As an Engineering Manager, you'll manage expectations along-side the technical product owners and product managers. Together, you'll define scope and specifications while refining RFCs to ensure deliverables are met and stability is maintained.
Using Typescript, React, Python, and event-processing pipelines, you'll help craft scalable systems that are profit centers for a growing organization.
For some context on what we’ve done last year and looking forward:
- In 2020, we refactored and centralized all server side rendering methods into a performant and consistent interface for all sending teams.
- For 2021 we have ambitious goals to centralize this refactored rendering pipeline onto dedicated infrastructure for all our sending pipelines. Additionally, we are aiming to revamp our frontend editor with a React and Typescript conversion (well under way). Post release of the new editor we intend to quickly iterate and ship many highly sought after customer facing features through the end of the year.
How You Will Make a Difference
- Drive dramatic growth in one of Klaviyo’s core product areas, Email Templates
- Lead a growing team with between 3-7 direct reports. The team is currently 5 and we intend to be at 7 by years end.
- Level up the team and have a central role in the interview process.
- Decompose high level projects into business goals.
- Manage system design and implementation trade-offs with business partners and your team.
- Identify the critical path forward and map that into a plan for your team.
- Develop SMART goals and provide feedback and assessments to direct reports.
- Iterate and improve upon processes across the entire engineering department (i.e. recruiting, performance reviews, project planning, and more)
- Enjoy a leadership role at our new headquarters in Boston, MA (pending our return, likely to be Summer 2021)
Who You Are
- Experience working on a SaaS product in a full stack capacity.
- Excited to read the code, understand the product area, and give applicable technical mentorship.
- You have an in-depth understanding of common web architectures when it comes to highly scalable systems.
- You know what tools to reach for based on the problem at hand: queues, caches, cdns, databases, autoscaling groups, etc.
- Managed a team of at least 3 people and comfortable managing remote team members.
- Successfully led and delivered on complex projects expanding multiple quarters and involving at least two teams.
- Comfortable giving performance reviews and mentoring team members at all levels.
Get to know Klaviyo
Klaviyo is a world-leading marketing automation platform dedicated to accelerating revenue and customer connection for online businesses using the channels they own like email, web and mobile. Enabling brands to leverage these owned marketing channels, Klaviyo makes it easy to store, access, analyze and use transactional and behavioral data to power highly-targeted customer and prospect communications. The company’s hybrid customer-data and marketing-platform model allows companies to grow by fostering direct, high-fidelity relationships with customers, without giving up their valuable data to Facebook or Amazon. In 2020, Klaviyo reached coveted unicorn status with a robust Series C of $200m at $4.15B valuation. Innovative companies like Unilever, Custom Ink, and Huckberry sell more with Klaviyo. Learn more at www.klaviyo.com.
Klaviyo does not tolerate and prohibits discrimination, harassment or retaliation of or against job applicants, contractors, interns, volunteers or employees by another employee, supervisor, vendor, customer or any third party.