Engineering Manager - Pipelines Team at CircleCI
At CircleCI, we enable thousands of developers to do better work every day. We're looking for an Engineering Manager to support and grow the people who make that possible.
The Pipelines team is responsible for build orchestration and configuration, including pipelines and job status. The team’s mission is enabling customers to design build flows and express dependencies in ways that are optimized for their unique needs.
As the manager for this cross-functional team, you’ll collaborate daily with 4-8 engineers distributed across eastern North America and Western Europe. You’ll report to a Senior Engineering manager in our Product Engineering organization.
This is a full-time role in Canada or Ireland.What you’ll do:
- Plan and align: You’ll collaborate with engineering leadership, product managers, and your team to define longterm strategic initiatives, quarterly Objectives and Key Results (OKRs), feature roadmaps, and weekly priorities. You’ll help the team set technical direction congruent with company vision.
- Help the team deliver user value: You’ll ensure your team consistently and incrementally delivers features that provide value to our customers and our business.
- Foster professional growth: You’ll have direct reports with a variety of backgrounds and various levels of experience. You’ll be accountable for their performance and career growth. You’ll coach them to identify areas in our Engineering Competency Matrix where they’d like to focus their efforts, help them set goals, and provide them with regular feedback. You’ll identify challenging opportunities to keep them engaged in pursuit of our company vision.
- Grow the team: You’ll participate in the hiring process from application review to onboarding.
- Support the team: Through service-oriented leadership, you’ll identify what the team needs in order to succeed, and ensure those needs are met within the constraints of our organization.
- Mature and improve the team: You’ll guide engineers to continuously improve team processes, refine best practices, and cultivate an inclusive culture.
- At least 1 year of direct management experience - leading a software engineering team and directly managing engineers.
- At least 6 months of full-time experience working transparently and collaboratively with a fully distributed team.
- A track record of using agile and lean methodologies to help teams continuously deliver user value.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills honed for both synchronous and asynchronous collaboration.
- You favor regular, incremental progress over perfection.
- You’re excited scaling all of our systems--software and human.
- You strive for continuous learning and improvement for yourself and your team.
- You’re good at negotiating the ambiguity inherent in a small, rapidly-growing company: quickly adapting to change, making conscious tradeoffs when guidance is limited and information is incomplete, solving problems creatively in the face of conflicting priorities, and instituting best practices from scratch.
- You’re curious and highly organized. You bring a knack for staying up-to-date on what's happening in the widely-distributed and fast-moving organization around you, and you use these skills to keep your team informed.
You’ll find more information about Engineering Management roles at CircleCI on our blog:
- This post contains more information about our hiring process for managers: What we've learned about hiring engineering managers
- What to expect as a remote CircleCI employee
- How my distributed team communicates so no context is left behind
Submit your application online via the Apply Now button. Please include a cover letter that describes why you're interested in working for CircleCI and summarize how your experience and career goals fit the qualifications for the position.
We know there’s no such thing as a “perfect” candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.About CircleCI
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.