Engineering Manager, Fintech at Toast
Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Bready* to make a change?
Our Payments/Fintech organization owns delivery and operations for the parts of our product that accept and process payments on our point-of-sale, as well as building out financial services on top of that platform. On behalf of our customers, we process billions of dollars in payments per year; we’re a critical part of their businesses, as well as Toast’s.
As an Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for the success of anywhere from one to three teams. Their success is defined by delivering on work to enhance our product offerings, communicating the impact effectively, and increasing effectiveness/efficiency over time. You will use your empathetic people management skills, detail-oriented project management skills, and your technical background to guide teams to success and to grow your team members into effective, compassionate engineers that exceed expectations in their individual roles.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Growing and developing individuals on your teams through tactics such as regular 1:1s, finding creative opportunities to challenge them beyond their perceived limits, direct coaching and team coaching
- Assess the health of your teams through reviewing metrics and attending team meetings
- Re-factor engineering teams (and support hiring efforts) in order to meet changing business needs and needs of individuals
- Review code changes and design documents to guide the technical direction as needed
- Work with your peers to support the strategic efforts and solve the problems of the overall engineering organization. Past efforts have included:
- Defining and streamlining cross team communication patterns
- Coordinating the engineering wide co-op and intern program
- Leading a manager-to-manager peer discussion group
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Comfort with a rapidly changing business and technical environment that may employ different software engineering or project management processes than you are used to
- Experience writing and delivering code, as well as operating software in a SaaS environment
- Enjoy jumping into new codebases and finding your way around
- History of mentoring and growing successful, diverse teams that win together through understanding the voice of the customer
- Bias towards action, with the ability to balance getting things done with making things perfect
*Bread puns encouraged but not required