Engineer: Time Series
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about creating products that you and your peers would love.
DigitalOcean’s Time Series Team builds and runs cloud-scale distributed time-series databases powering internal and customer-facing services and products. We’re creating flexible and powerful solutions that our customers will leverage to ship their software as quickly and easily as possible. We’re looking for engineers to work on this team responsible end to end from design, implementation and improve DO time series systems. This job can be worked remotely or from our offices in NYC and Cambridge, MA.
We are looking for a senior engineer who will work on a small team of senior software engineers to develop across the whole stack of our and future time series current systems. You will be reporting to the Engineering Manager, Storage.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Work on hard distributed computing problems
- Use scrum in an agile, self-managed team of peers
- Develop big-data storage and analytical systems
- Help create a massive, in-memory, real-time query engine
- Contribute to a free/open source platform and community
- Working with interesting technologies such as Prometheus, Go, Docker, Kafka, Cassandra and more
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Proficiency in at least one of the following languages: Go, C/C++, Java, Python, Ruby, and/or Perl
- Big Bonus : A solid background in Go
- Loves writing and improving code
- Works well in a small team of peers
- An ability to work at multiple levels of the stack in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Has used multiple programming languages to build production systems
- Has substantial experience contributing to free software projects
- Has experience with big data and distributed computing systems
- Virtualization concepts.
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.