We are the strongest team in an industry where software has been under-appreciated for far too long. Manufacturing tools and software are stuck in the 90s and iteration time is measured in weeks rather than hours. Markforged has proven to the world that same-day hardware development is not only possible but accessible today. Help us fulfill the promise of 3D printing and bring metal-strength manufacturing to the masses.
Markforged is looking for a Director of Software Engineering to help lead and scale the software engineering team. This team is responsible for one of our most valuable assets: our 3D printing software platform. This person will report to the CTO and will work alongside our multidisciplinary engineering leadership team.
You will be a strong, independent and team-oriented leader that is passionate about solving big problems with simple solutions, mentoring and developing exceptional team members, driving engineering excellence and building a great company. You have a proven track record of building large, scalable infrastructure. You are a creative thinker, problem solver, teacher, learner, and a fantastic manager of people. This position offers a great opportunity to proactively develop, maintain, and scale the infrastructure and engineering initiatives in a fast paced hardware startup environment. As a rapidly evolving company, Markforged takes our stability, scalability, and security seriously and is looking for the next great leader to join the ranks and grow with the company.
- Provide organizational leadership and management for our software engineering team
- Relentlessly raise team performance bar through coaching, technical audits, clear and constructive feedback, empathy, and good judgment
- Actively inspire and develop technical and leadership talent through effective mentoring, coaching, and creating growth opportunities and retention strategies
- Effectively prioritize and communicate status updates to appropriate audiences
- Work closely with talent acquisition to develop and execute an effective interviewing framework that ensures top quality hires. (e.g. interviewing techniques, questions, pitch, evaluation, feedback and decision-making)
- Teach others how to conduct design, code, and performance reviews and effectively provide feedback
Engineering / Technological Excellence
- Contribute to our current code base. We believe it is important for engineering leadership to be technical and hands on
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to projects and team members
- Work collaboratively with our product team to properly scope out product priorities and communicate technical implications
- Manage design and architectural decision making processes so that the most effective and successful choices are made and aligned to our company goals
- Own development & service delivery for all Web, IoT, and Data Services
- Deliver architecture & implementation solutions for all product and infrastructure initiatives
- Lead verification of design while driving analysis to determine performance and functionality metrics
- Drive the software engineering team to perform troubleshooting and root cause failure analysis associated with system failures
- Execute on a long-term technical vision for architecture, quality, and infrastructure
- Set and achieve clear, measurable engineering goals based on data
Process / Program Management
- Deliver high quality products on schedule
- Strong desire to be both hands-on and strategic and know how to trade-off and balance
- Can take a high level project, construct a realistic plan with measurable deliverables and then execute accordingly