Director of Quality at Markforged
Sorry, this job was removed at 4:06 p.m. (EST) on Monday, January 25, 2021
Markforged is reinventing manufacturing so you can build anything you imagine. As the fastest-growing additive manufacturing company in the US, Markforged provides the most affordable metal and carbon fiber 3D printers on the market. Engineers, designers, and manufacturing professionals all over the world rely on Markforged products for tooling, fixtures, functional prototyping, and production parts to optimize their manufacturing operations and supply chains. Founded in 2013 and based in Watertown, MA, Markforged has about 250 employees globally and $137 million in both strategic and venture capital.
We are seeking an experienced, detail-oriented and motivated individual to join our growing team at Markforged to lead our Quality Organization. In this position, you will play a key role in the overall success of implementing a Quality Management System (QMS) for the corporation. You will provide clear leadership and a vision, along with key strategic goals for building, developing and maturing the quality function at Markforged. To do this, you will work closely with key internal stakeholders and align on a roadmap for defining the roles and responsibilities for all the quality related roles. This will include establishing the necessary staffing levels and developing a multi-year plan for building out the capability throughout the development and production environments. Finally, you will provide oversight, training and mentoring to the organization for new product development, sustaining engineering, risk management and end to end product quality. This position reports to the VP, Operations.
- Overall responsibility for Quality activities across the business; Develop the Quality Management System, create/update procedures and train team members
- Develop a vision and departmental strategy to ensure adherence with customer expectations.
- Contribute to overall business strategy and annual budget process
- Prepare the annual Quality budget and forecasts and all Capital Expenditure proposals as well as ensuring compliance with legal standards. Manage the budget from identification to completion of projects/initiatives
- Drive any necessary culture change and improvement in business performance to deliver the quality related strategic goals
- Establish quality and reliability standards by studying industry benchmarks and the requirements of customers and research/design and development, and define the metrics required to assess performance against standards required
- Implement new quality processes and systems where appropriate
- Work to prevent non-conformances, customer complaints, concession and rework alongside Manufacturing/ Engineering and Operations to develop corrective and preventative actions within required time-frame
- Lead, manage and deliver ISO 9001 certification at Markforged (starting with prep work in developing, and compliance, to standards)
- Ensure effective internal and external audits happen both before and after ISO 9001 certification; Ensure that corrective actions are delivered and non-compliance issues are resolved on time
- Report on Quality activities on a regular basis to the Senior Leadership team, ensuring accurate and timely reporting of the relevant Key Performance Indicators
- Ensure that quality standards and procedures are adhered to
- Responsible for developing the appropriate organisational structure, resource plans and culture to support the business objectives
- Provide leadership, coordination and coaching to the team, ensuring they are trained enabling them to achieve the operational and financial metrics within their areas of responsibility and succeed in their roles
- Recruit employees; assign, direct, and evaluate their work; and oversee the development and deployment of staff OKRs and competencies.
- Complete regular performance reviews, and manage any people issues with HR support
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders in engineering and manufacturing to facilitate delivery and compliance to the quality strategy
- Ensures quality of new product launches as a key contributor in the NPI Phase Gate Launch process
What we look for:
- Bachelor of Science in any Engineering field (preferably in Mechanical or Electrical fields); Masters in Engineering Management or Business Administration is a plus.
- 10+ years management experience (5-10 people) in fast paced, electro mechanical or materials process engineering industries in a quality role/function
- Experience with either implementing or owning ongoing adherence to ISO 9001standard (or other standards associated with Aerospace, Automotive or Med-device industries) is required;
- Considerable experience of leading a quality function with a proven track record in strategic quality leadership delivering effective quality strategies, policies and processes
- Proven leadership and management skills with the ability to optimise team performance and development
- Excellent relationship management skills with the ability to engage, negotiate and manage key stakeholders and suppliers at all levels
- Interpersonal communication skills with expertise in distilling complicated topics to a broader audience.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving abilities
- Commercially and financially astute with experience of managing budgets
- Ability to add value, reduce costs and make business improvements
- Experience of operating and influencing at a strategic level
- Knowledge and technical understanding of processes, components and manufacturing techniques
Help us reinvent manufacturing.
We are reinventing manufacturing so that engineers can build anything they imagine.
We are one team that wins together!
You will be engaging every day with passionate and dedicated individuals in a collaborative environment working towards making best-in-class products.
Perks & Benefits
We offer a competitive compensation package and a full suite of benefits, including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 401(k), parental leave, commuter benefits, open PTO policy, and more. Our work environment includes casual dress, a fully stocked kitchen, bike storage, free parking, weekly catered lunches, and fitness perks. You will have unlimited access to our 3D printers for professional and personal parts!
Markforged values the differences among our employees and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. These differences include but are not limited to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. This goal emphasizes the development of inclusive work environments that capitalize on each employee’s skills, experience, and unique perspectives as we strive to achieve an unparalleled standard of excellence.
To all recruitment agencies: Markforged does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Markforged employees. Markforged is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Read Full Job Description