Director, Hardware Engineering at Toast
Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Toast is scaling rapidly and with that growth comes exciting challenges in how we evolve our hardware devices to provide platforms that are reliable, easy to use and improve the overall experience in a restaurant. This role will be accountable, in partnership with Product Management, for defining hardware product directions through technical insight and contribute to the technical roadmap for the evolution of Toast’s hardware platforms.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
As Director of this organization, you will be responsible for development of hardware platforms and growing a team of Toast engineers.
- Drive delivery of business outcomes across multiple teams, including planning and execution
- Enable and mentor engineers on your team to do the best work they can and reward their performance
- Establish strong working relationships with peer infrastructure and product teams
- Influence architecture decisions in your team and more broadly across Toast to optimize product development efficiency
- Grow the organization through hiring and creating professional growth opportunities for the members of your team
You will grow the skills of your team over time. You will find creative ways to help your team become more effective & efficient and connect your teams’ work to Toast’s broader mission. You need to be passionate about the customer’s experience and will work closely with product & design counterparts to validate and deliver world class products to our customers. On a given day, you might be reviewing designs, coordinating discussions between partner teams, and collaborating on roadmaps with architectural and product stakeholders.
We are expanding the hardware team and looking for a leader to help manage it. In pursuit of greater efficiency, this team will:
- Manage a remotely located hardware team and achieve greater productivity.
- Partner with other product teams to ensure designs that meet the needs of our customers.
- Help develop and evolve the hardware development process as Toast continues to grow.
- Create a culture of collaboration with other teams at Toast.
- With Product Management partners, establish product requirements for next generation products.
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- You are respectful, empathetic, and humble
- Multiple years of experience managing engineering teams, preferably ones focused on Mechanical and Electrical product development.
- Strong understanding of hardware product development processes, from design, prototyping, production and post production quality support
- A bias towards action, with the ability to balance between getting things done and making things perfect
- Experience in a rapidly growing business; and identifying needed changes as the business evolves over time.
- In depth knowledge of mechanical and electrical engineering principles specifically related to products like Android devices.
- A good working knowledge of Android Software.
- Passion for making your peers more productive and efficient
- Experience working with remote teams residing in multiple time zones.
- Experience with building strategic partnerships and working day to day with suppliers located is different countries, particularly in Asia.
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.