• University degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology, Mathematics or Statistics
• Experience building large scale solutions with high performance and throughput
• Experience gathering business requirements, formulating metrics and building reports
• Understanding of data architecture, access patterns, relational / non-relational database concepts, data modeling and application implementations
• Backend development experience with Scala, Java and / or Python
• Frontend native app development in Swift/Kotlin
• Excellent written and spoken communication skills
• Experience with AWS or Google Cloud Platform
• Experience in travel
About the job
We’re looking for a customer obsessed individual to join our Technology team to architect, design and build robust features that directly impact Hopper. You’ll work with a highly skilled and motivated crew of technical and product-focused individuals, intent on delivering the best experience possible for those who use our product. Your efforts and expertise will frame and solve some of the most challenging problems in mobile commerce at a scale and complexity that few organizations can match.
You have strong software, data modeling and analytical skills. Everything we do is focused on customer experience, data measurement and delivering value at speed. You’ll be the technical leader responsible for making that a reality and lead the group making that happen.
- Work with business stakeholders and product teams
- Manage a team to design and develop platforms, features and tools designed to streamline our customer experience and make our product more of a delight to use.
- Collaborate closely with our product leaders, as well as other groups inside of Hopper
- Establish, maintain and document high data quality standards.
- Architect, design and develop robust, scalable solutions to service millions of customers.
- Coach managers and individual contributors and grow them as leaders and technologists
- Take an active role in organizational design, recruitment and process improvements
- Be a trusted advisor to our technology leadership and your peers
- Champion the Hopper Leadership Principles
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
More about Hopper
Today, Hopper is best known as a travel app. We're going to do about $1B in sales this year and weathered the COVID storm better than anyone expected. We just raised $170M from Goldman Sachs and Capital One, and inked a deal to be the exclusive travel provider for Capital One Travel.
We owe our success, in large part, to a proprietary suite of data-driven and risk-based financial services that we have developed that complement a customer's trip-purchasing experience. One example is Price Freeze, where our customers are able to purchase a financial option in the app to lock in any price that they see, on any item, for as short as 1 hour or as long as 21 days with Hopper taking the risk on the other side of the trade.
Now we're laying the groundwork for continued expansion in 2021 by adding great people to our team who can help us compete with the travel giants.