Director of Engineering - Programs at edX
Director of Engineering - Programs
edX is the trusted platform for education and learning. Founded by Harvard and MIT, edX is home to more than 20 million learners, the majority of top-ranked universities in the world and industry-leading companies. As a global nonprofit, edX is transforming traditional education, removing the barriers of cost, location, and access. edX is where you go to learn!
In this highly visible role, you will manage the technology organization for one of edX’s most important business lines, Programs. Along with leaders in Product Management and Educational Content, you will scale a line of higher education degreed programs that propel learners’s careers forward. You will lead three engineering scrum teams to architect, build, and operate software capabilities to support this multi-million dollar portfolio.
- Lead, coach and mentor three highly-motivated technology managers and teams of engineers
- Co-define and communicate your LOB’s strategy to your org, and translate it into technical capabilities
- Drive the long-term build/buy/partner technology roadmap
- Present business status and project progress via monthly and quarterly reports for the executive team
- Build a culture of entrepreneurship, psychological safety, and collaboration across Engineering, Product, Marketing, Analytics
- Develop relationships with technical teams from some of the most prestigious universities in the world
- Continuously improve the overall operations of your team and, jointly, of edX engineering at large
- Collaborate with senior leadership to align with company goals and prioritize initiatives
- 12+ years experience in engineering with 5+ years as a people manager including some as manager of managers
- Expertise in software architecture as an enabler of business capabilities
- Well versed in the Lean and Agile mindset and servant leadership
- Strategic thinker with the ability to be decisive in prioritization of opportunities
- Experience bringing customers and partners into the product delivery process
- Strong presentation skills with the ability to clearly communicate with stakeholders at all levels
- Experience with operating online services
- A bias for action
- Experience in education technology such as Open edX, Canvas, Moodle and associated services
- B.A. / M.S. / Ph.D. in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent experience.