Director of Engineering - Cloud, SRE & Observability at CarGurus (Cambridge, MA)
Who we are
At CarGurus (NASDAQ: CARG), our mission is to give people the power to reach their destination. We started as a small team of developers determined to bring trust and transparency to car shopping. Since then, our history of innovation and go-to-market acceleration has driven industry-leading growth. In fact, we’re the largest and fastest-growing automotive marketplace, and we’ve been profitable for over 15 years.
What we do
The market is evolving, and we are too, moving the entire automotive journey online and guiding our customers through every step. That includes everything from the sale of an old car to the financing, purchase, and delivery of a new one. Today, tens of millions of consumers visit CarGurus.com each month, and ~30,000 dealerships use our products. But they're not the only ones who love CarGurus—our employees do, too. We have a people-first culture that fosters kindness, collaboration, and innovation, and empowers our Gurus with tools to fuel their career growth. Disrupting a trillion-dollar industry requires fresh and diverse perspectives. Come join us for the ride!
CarGurus is looking for a Director of Engineering to lead multiple areas including our Cloud Center of Excellence, Site Reliability, Database engineering and Observability teams. Reporting to the VP of Platform Engineering and working closely with Engineering peers, you will be responsible for transitioning our core infrastructure team into a modern cloud center of excellence.
Additionally, you will be responsible for the overall reliability and availability of our core product and surrounding applications running in our cloud environments (AWS, Kubernetes). You’ll own and develop our SRE tactics, observability tools, and services, directly engage with the rest of the Platform, Data, and Product Engineering teams to improve uptime, reliability, and resiliency of our application stack. You’ll also own the building of self-service tooling and automation to supervise the health of our applications and infrastructure.
What you'll do
- Lead multiple teams including Cloud center of excellence, Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), Observability (o11y), and Database as a Service (DBaaS).
- Be a thought leader around AWS best practices, governance models and helping CarGurus get the most out of its AWS partnership.
- Advance Site Reliability Engineering as a practice across Engineering especially during the transition from a monolith to microservices.
- Be passionate about growing careers and mentoring engineers across both the individual contributor and manager tracks.
- Use Agile scrum to deliver on the team’s commitments and strengthen the team's velocity over time.
- Guide the team on standard methodologies as they deliver on their goals around distributed tracing
- Work with the team to set quarterly departmental goals and metrics for the team.
- Coach, mentor, train and develop a growing engineering team. Engineers feel motivated when they feel like they are valued, delivering and learning. Help make that happen.
What you'll bring
- Previous experience leading/running multiple teams of Cloud, SRE and/or observability engineers.
- Strong practitioner of Agile scrum methodology and ability to mentor the team on best practices as and when needed.
- Making sure there is organization-wide alignment on Cloud and SRE practices across C-level executives as well as various engineering leaders.
- Experience driving metrics for the organization
- Experience with affecting change and establishing standard methodologies where needed.
- Broad exposure in Cloud, SRE, o11y and DB tools such as AWS, Prometheus, grafana, alertmanager, honeycomb, Graylog, MySQL, clusterControl, opsGenie, Looker, Terraform, k8s
- You're comfortable talking about SLOs, SLIs, SLAs, incident management, and building a culture of reliability and transparency. You have empathy for our customers and our engineers who use our systems and are eager to make improvements for them.
- Experience with Business and how to balance the business needs, RTO, RPO, and cost.
- Broadly familiar with information security, configuration management, and infrastructure orchestration.
- Ability to translate broad company strategies into clear, specific objectives and impactful plans.
Working at CarGurus
We reward our Gurus’ curiosity and passion with best-in-class benefits and compensation, including equity for all employees, both when they start and as they continue to grow with us. Our career development and corporate giving programs, as well as our employee resource groups (ERGs) and communities, help people build connections while making an impact in personally meaningful ways. A flexible hybrid model and robust time off policies encourage work-life balance and individual well-being. Thoughtful perks like daily free lunch, a new car discount, meditation and fitness apps, commuting cost coverage, and more help our people create space for what matters most in their personal and professional lives.
We welcome all
CarGurus strives to be a place to which people can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—starting with our hiring process. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. We foster an inclusive environment that values people for their skills, experiences, and unique perspectives. That’s why we hope you’ll apply even if you don’t check every box listed in the job description. We want to know what only you can bring to CarGurus.
US employees must provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. #LI-Hybrid