Director of Engineering - Branded Channel at Grubhub
We're all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. Innovative technology, user-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart and make us an industry leader in the world of online food ordering. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
We're looking for someone to join our Branded Channel mobile team as a Director who will be responsible for shaping the technical strategy and vision for our GH Direct restaurant mobile applications. We want someone who is both a champion for user experience and quality and also someone with a keen eye for scalability and automation. Our GH Direct applications are already used by some of the most well-known brands in the restaurant industry, and we're now scaling to bring the same technology to smaller, local businesses as well.
The Impact You Will Make
- You'll bring our branded channel mobile applications to the next level in terms of features and scale. You will enable continuous improvement and drive for higher diner engagement and orders for our restaurant partners.
- You'll be a champion for quality and stability. You will guide a strategy for monitoring hundreds of iOS and Android applications in production and shipping defect-free deployments regularly.
- You'll grow your team. You'll be a mentor and a coach to Engineering Managers and help them develop in their own career growth as well as foster growth on their teams.
- You'll be a trusted advisor and partner. You'll be integral in setting your team up for success by working with Product Managers, Designers, Sales and Operations, and other Engineering Leaders.
What You Bring to the Table
- Experience leading several teams of mobile software engineers. You love building strong teams and growing individuals as much as you love building good software.
- Demonstrable experience developing native application software (preferably Swift or Kotlin), especially e-commerce systems.
- Passion and expertise in building high-quality, resilient, scalable applications. You will be the driving force to make sure our product is stable in production and able to grow with the business, so you should have a track record of building large or complex applications.
- Experience prioritizing and delegating projects. You should have demonstrated strength in collaborating on a roadmap, prioritizing projects given your team's availability and bandwidth, and empowering your teams to deliver.
- The ability to be pragmatic in how we build new features or tackle tech debt. You should be able to speak intelligently about both iOS and Android and have an informed opinion about the future of mobile development.
- Demonstrated ability to work with backend engineering leaders to build services that are in tune with the needs of mobile applications.
- Ability to build relationships across a broad organization. You bolster your team by finding solutions and knowledge they can use from other teams in other areas.
- An ability to marry the needs of the business with the needs of our users. We want someone who can identify with restaurant owners and their needs while making sure that we are doing so in a sustainable way.
- And you exemplify the behaviors we expect of all leaders in our engineering organization:
- Build and enable great teams - Leaders recruit, inspire, grow and empower amazing people and teams. They remove blockers, coach, and build mechanisms to enable scale, efficiency, and quality.
- We recognize, celebrate, and double down on success - Our employees are multi-faceted, recognizing their skills and interests will keep our people engaged and motivated.
- Know what you're talking about - We dive deep, understanding the subject matter at the absolute not the abstract level. We build trust because we understand and focus on the details.
- High Bar - Leaders set the bar high, push the boundaries, and hold themselves and teams accountable.
- Innovative - Leaders think long-term and platform-wide, inventing their way around constraints to deliver breakthrough solutions, not settling for the status quo.
- Make Informed Decisions - We favor data-driven, objective decisions. Never myopic or short sighted, always focused on what's right for Grubhub. We are also willing to revisit the decision when the world changes.
- Ownership - Leaders own problems, decisions, and messages. We look for people to broaden their responsibility and accountability beyond the things they directly own or have direct influence over.
- Humble and self-critical - Leaders always learn, admit mistakes, and strive to improve.
- Trust and respect - Leaders earn trust through the consistency, transparency, and fairness of their actions. We always treat others with respect.
- Get stuff done - Leaders focus on results. They simplify complexity, executing with a sense of urgency and purpose.
- Communicates Effectively - Listen actively, stay engaged in conversation, be genuine & authentic, understand impact of words and nonverbal cues.
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO . Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
- Competitive Pay. You'll receive a competitive base salary with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission or RSUs (role-specific)
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
- MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
- Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
- COVID-19 Response. All of our employees are currently working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. We look forward to seeing everyone in-office when it's safe to return.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you're applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
CA Privacy Notice: If you are a resident of the State of California and would like a copy of our CA privacy notice, please email [email protected]