Carbon Certification General Manager at Indigo
At Indigo, our mission is: harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. We started down this path leveraging microbiology, but we have quickly expanded across the entire agriculture supply chain.
IndigoCarbon and the broader Terraton Initiative is the most explicit expression of our sustainability goals yet. The Terraton Initiative is working to remove 1 trillion tons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, sequester it in agricultural soils, and by doing that, improve the health of the soil, the profitability of farmers, the quality of our food, and the health of our planet. This goal is massive, and it will require a diverse team to make it happen. If you’ve been looking for a disruptive, tech-enabled company with talented people who are tackling thorny, ambiguous but incredibly inspiring problems, we’d love to hear from you.
Today, the average busy person doesn’t have a way to fight climate change in their daily lives. Carbon calculators are clunky, carbon offsets are opaque, and few brands have gone beyond being “carbon neutral.” Carbon neutral is helpful – at least it’s not making things worse. But at Indigo, we want to be part of the solution. For that reason, we are creating a certification that goes beyond carbon neutral to being part of that solution. Imagine an organic or non-GMO certification put on products that have gone beyond neutrality and instead represent a net reduction in atmospheric greenhouse gas emissions.
The Carbon Certification General Manager will own the P&L for our certification business, from establishing the standard itself to forging partnerships with the world’s largest consumer-facing companies to put the certification on the side of their products. When we do this, we will have given consumers the ability to fight climate change when they buy their groceries, their clothes, their electronics – everything. We need a leader who will help stand up this certification business from scratch, embrace the perspective of both individual consumers and the world’s largest brands, and learn rapidly as we bring this certification to market. In this role, you will act as the General Manager of the Certification business, driving a successful P&L.
This role reports to Ed Smith, VP and Head of Carbon Markets and the Terraton Initiative.
The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Sydney, Australia, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil. www.indigoag.com
- Drive and own the P&L for the Certification business; this includes a variety of responsibilities, such as:
- Develop a quantifiable standard for the certification (i.e., the metrics and targets a product must hit to receive the certification)
- Develop an ecosystem of 3rd party partners who can perform the carbon footprint quantification of products and companies (i.e., a life cycle analysis)
- Develop a pipeline of target consumer-facing companies, rigorously manage the sales process with those companies, and drive top-line revenue for the certification business
- Grow, scale, and expand the business globally
- Collaborate with the Innovation team and Product Management team to define our analytical approach and develop scalable, digital tools to support growth and expansion
- Develop a scorecard of key metrics to manage the business weekly towards success
- Perhaps most importantly, build a team of A+ players to support and grow the business
- Adept general manager who is able to quickly pick up on key business concepts
- Ability to manage ambiguity and work on multiple work streams simultaneously
- Analytical and detail-oriented
- Ability to execute and bring ideas to market quickly, then learn, adapt, and iterate based on results
- Strong commercial drive
- Ability to understand and synthesize scientific findings from multiple disciplines
- Strong team leader, mentor, and developer of talent
- Strong communication and presentation skills, able to communicate complex science to broad audiences
- Strong client-facing approach, the ability to interact with executives with poise
- Strong ability to collaborate cross-functionally and lead through influence
- Strong interest in environmental sustainability and carbon neutrality; passionate about Indigo’s mission
- Experience owning / driving a business or P&L
- Experience bringing a product from conception to market preferred
- Advanced degree preferred, e.g., MBA or MS in related field
- Experience leading large, high-performing teams in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment required; experience building a team preferred
- Experience (professional or academic) in LCA or other quantitative environmental assessment tools preferred
- Experience working with CPG or Lifestyle companies strongly preferred
- Based in Boston, some travel required