Our mission at Sense is to reduce global carbon emissions by making homes smart and efficient. We’re serious about having a real impact on climate change by empowering people to easily take care of their homes and to actively participate in a cleaner, more resilient future.
To accomplish our mission, we are building an AI and automation platform for home energy infrastructure. Our consumer product, built on our unique machine learning technology, gives people visibility into the energy usage of their homes and provides insights to simplify saving energy and money. We are a team of highly curious, collaborative engineers who enjoy working together to solve a wide range of interesting technical challenges across a deep stack that spans embedded, native mobile, web, and the cloud. If the idea of having a significant positive impact on our product (and climate) sounds exciting to you, let's talk!
As a backend software engineer at Sense, you will help us expand the capabilities of our cloud platform to enable a wide range of new product features, and you will be a key contributor to maintaining and scaling a high-quality production service. You should be
- Focused on delivering functionality that benefits the customer and provides real business value.
- Experienced at designing clean, usable REST APIs.
- Excited about high-volume, realtime data and solving the challenges it poses.
- Interested in building (or learning how to build) high-availability, performant, and scalable systems.
- Tenacious when tracking down production issues, digging into metrics and logs as needed to run a problem to the ground.
- 2+ years professional experience with backend development
- Devops experience maintaining a production environment
- Background in Java, Linux, AWS, Cassandra is a plus
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
Sense supports a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We welcome candidates with backgrounds that are traditionally underrepresented in tech, and we strive to foster an engaging, respectful and supportive community where everyone feels empowered to do their best work. Sense is committed to being an equal opportunity employer.
Sense is a growing VC-backed startup with an experienced leadership team and revolutionary machine learning technology.
- Best Startups in Cambridge - Tech Tribune
- "One of the world's top 100 AI companies" - VentureBeat
- Clean Tech Company of the Year - New England Venture Capital Association
- 50 on Fire - BostInno
- Top 100 - Red Herring
- Best Consumer AI Technology - AI Dev World
- Global Cleantech 100
- Competitive compensation including equity
- Remote or local/hybrid in our Cambridge Central Square office
- Home office setup allowance ($200/year)
- Great work-life balance
- Flexible work hours
- Vacation starting at 3 weeks/year + 1 week paid sick time
- Paid parental leave (5 weeks or more depending on location)
- Dependent Care Accounts
- Generous healthcare benefits for employees and dependents
- Medical (90% of the premium and first 50% of the deductible)
- Dental (90%)
- Vision (100%)
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life, AD&D, long- and short-term disability insurance (100%)
- 401k plan
- Free Sense energy monitor for your home, discounts for friends and family