Back End Software Engineer, GeoInnovation at Indigo
Back End Software Engineer, GeoInnovation
What if nature could be harnessed to help farmers sustainably feed the planet? Since 2014, Indigo has questioned agriculture's full value chain to improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. The company’s scientific discoveries and digital innovations have amplified new value from soil to sale, benefiting more than 10,000 growers to date. Indigo is also the company behind The Terraton Initiative, a global effort to drawdown one trillion tons of atmospheric carbon dioxide by unlocking the potential of agricultural soils. In 2019, Indigo was ranked #1 on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Indigo has additional offices in Memphis, TN; Research Triangle Park, NC; Sydney, Australia; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Basel, Switzerland; and São Paulo, Brazil.
As a Back End Engineer on the GeoInnovation team, you will work on building web and mobile applications supporting Indigo’s carbon sequestration effort. Indigo Carbon is mobilizing farmers to sequester carbon through regenerative farming practices, that will generate carbon credits and produce healthier food. Your expertise in back end application development will help us create best-in-class consumer facing applications that aid our mission. All farmers, who we enroll and guide through the process of changing their practices, will aid our mission of sustainably feeding the planet.
In this role, you will build applications that help our growers move towards better, more efficient agricultural practices. This is a new team in the engineering organization, so it is a great opportunity to build something from the ground up in the latest tech stack.
- Build well-documented and maintainable critical features within existing API
- Design reliable and high-quality backend systems in the cloud, architecting data flow to APIs to support field scale
- Communicate risks and issues to stakeholders and work together to find a path forward
- Lead projects end to end, from design to implementation to deployment to production support, contributing across functions
- Understands how to build high-throughput APIs and data processing pipelines
- Understands how to design APIs and client libraries that are easy for users to use, while protecting the SLAs of the backend system
- Understands how to build reliable and maintainable systems in a cloud environment
- Able to research and propose new technologies or software patterns to make improvements
- Evangelizes modern software engineering practices, and can speak to the pros and cons of approaches such as microservices vs. monoliths, mono vs. shared repos, containers vs. VMs
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
- 2+ years experience building and deploying high-quality production services
- 1+ years experience working with a cloud provider, such as AWS or GCP
- Experience working in an agile environment
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.