Associate VP, Business Technology Leadership at Humana Studio_h
Humana is a Fortune 60 market leader in integrated healthcare whose dream is to help people achieve lifelong well-being. As a company focused on the health and well-being of the people we serve, Humana starts from within, and is committed to providing progressive benefits that advance the employment experience and vitality of the associate community. Through offerings anchored in a whole-person view of human well-being, Humana embraces a focus on stimulating positive individual and population changes while nurturing a sense of security, enabling people to live life fully and be their most productive.
With a history of transformation over the last 50+ years, Humana is once again transforming itself using a startup approach. “Humana – Edge” is a startup whose mission reinvent the healthcare experience for our senior members, leading to improved health outcomes for them, which in turn will help them lead even more fulfilling lives. Against that backdrop, we are seeking a talented technology solution development leader for the role of Associate VP, Business Technology Leadership.
The focus of this position spans the two major categories:
• Service Delivery is a team comprised of solution delivery leaders who are responsible for planning and execution across the product portfolio. They manage in-house developed technology solutions as well as vended, SaaS, and outsourced solutions. This team also manages relationships and gathers requirements from [Edge] product, clinical and operations teams, as well as other enterprise stakeholders when integration is required.
• Service Management is a team that compliments service delivery and is responsible for the run-time operations of all technology solutions, including performance management, incident management, change management, and availability management. This team ensures that technology assets function as designed, continue to meet the needs of the organization, and remain resilient.
The Associate VP, Business Technology Leadership requires an in-depth understanding of how organization capabilities interrelate across segments and/or enterprise-wide. This person is a key leader influencing culture and delivery quality by deploying practices to ensure solutions are implemented timely and continue to meet stakeholder needs. The AVP will operate as a member of the [The Edge] technology leadership team reporting to the Chief Technology Officer.
The preferred locations for this position are Louisville, KY or Boston, MA. Other locations will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Responsible for building and maintaining strategic partnerships with [EDGE] leadership, as well as having accountability for all technology delivery through direct management of delivery teams or partnership with other parts of Humana’s IT organization.
- Advocate technology solutions to deliver results and act as a trusted conduit with the technology organization to product, clinical and operations teams.
- Work with stakeholders to define, prioritize, and manage projects that align business and IT strategy in a multi-year strategic plan.
- Lead a team that combines a general knowledge of multiple technology areas with knowledge of the targeted business function. Team will deﬁne and document the business requirements, including pre-project definition, scoping, and prioritization of solutions aligned to desired business and technology strategies.
- End to end accountability for the ongoing quality control development and delivery of technology products. Accountable for program execution and delivery in line with initiative objectives, benefits, and success criteria. Develops, shares, and leverages best practices across IT.
- Maintain knowledge of multiple business functions and initiatives to identify where conﬂicts/synergies exist between technologies and business functions. Manage escalations and issues across Edge and enterprise teams
- Ability to build strong working relationships across all levels of the enterprise internally and with partners externally, in broad technology areas
- Ability to communicate in verbal and written format in a clear, concise and professional manner, appropriately tailored to technical and non-technical audiences
- Demonstrated leadership experience, including the ability to successfully influence others to achieve objectives in an environment of competing priorities
Key Candidate Qualifications
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in technology solution development, delivery, and management, as well as account management and project/program management. This person will be a strong leader of people with proven success in expanding and elevating the capabilities and performance of the team. Finally, the successful candidate will have experience operating successfully in a matrixed environment through collaboration and thought partnership. Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS, or a related field is required.
In addition to the above, the following technical skills and personal attributes are also sought:
- Master's degree (preferred)
- Change leadership experience.
- Broad healthcare industry and technology knowledge.
- Understanding of business strategy.
- Experience developing IT strategy to support business.
- Experience working and/or managing within an environment with a “startup” culture using agile, lean, DevOps, and DataOps delivery practices and methodologies.
- A record of success in attracting, developing, and motivating top talent from inside and outside of the organization, and preparing direct reports for expanded responsibilities
- Experience in managing change by leading and energizing others, modeling adaptability, and inspiring strong organizational performance through periods of transformation, ambiguity, and complexity.
- Experience in program management and vendor/agency management - ability to coordinate activities, collectively set strategies and monitor progress.
- Current or recent experience in a large, highly matrixed company (i.e., Fortune 250), with proven ability to influence leaders and key stakeholders in such an environment
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including the polish, poise, and executive presence that will ensure effective interaction with senior and executive level audiences
- A proven track record in SAFe and/or product leadership that has scaled.