Associate Director, Software Engineering at Chewy
Chewy’s mission is to empower people to make smarter decisions about buying products used by Pets. We do that by making the industry transparent through artificial intelligence and data. The Pricing Engineering team builds platform to capture competitive signals, builds elasticity models based on data and executes the price to the ecommerce systems through high performant scalable API’s.
About the Role
Reporting directly to the Senior Director of Software Engineering, the Associate Director (hands on Engineer) will lead the team that is responsible for building several systems that work together to help Chewy set price for the site. The team will build products to scan competitor prices, build models to establish product elasticity, create a price management system and create a scalable Pricing API that will power Chewy.com . More specifically, the role will assume the following responsibilities:
What you'll do:
- Build a scalable Pricing platform that can power millions of hits per day that is extremely fault tolerant and performs at ecommerce scale.
- Build a powerful price management system that can support multiple price experiments on a day to day basis.
- Recruit, hire, and mentor exceptional engineers, quality and data scientists.
- Work with product management, product development, operations, customer support, and other internal stakeholders to define requirements, guide product and architectural vision, and prioritize efforts.
- Ensure timely and consistent communication to facilitate a clear understanding of ongoing projects and their prioritization within the organization
- Manage an active research agenda aimed at generating innovations to solve business needs and technical challenges (including outside research)
- Integrate research into a technical roadmap for product development.
- Iterate quickly in an agile development process.
- Create a dynamic, collaborative and fun team environment.
- Engage team in conferences and external activities that facilitate staying abreast of the latest cutting-edge technologies and approaches.
What you'll need:
- A thought leader. You can think ahead and build machine learning for the future. You can communicate and command the respect of executives and developers.
- 12+ years in Software engineering
- 4+ years API development or engineering
- 4+ years Kafka, No-SQL development
- 8+ years of development experience with Java/Spring boot including full life cycle activities
- 5 + experience in technical lead position and providing technical guidance to team
- Experience working across fully automated stacks in a CI/CD ecosystem
- Experience building highly scalable applications with Event Based Architecture
- Experience with distributed data stores at scale
- Experience working with emerging technologies
- Experience working effectively across multiple functional areas in a matrixed environment
- Experience with test case automation
- Knowledge of cloud technologies, such as AWS, Azure, and/or Google Cloud.
- Master’s degree in computer science, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics or another related field.
- Experience presenting to C-Suite
- Position may require some travel
- Strong engineering background building Products that are ecommerce scale
- Prior roles in Ecommerce or in technology companies
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at our company, please contact [email protected]